Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 06:05:13 -0600

066 
ATHW40 PHFO 301204
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE NOV 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD CENTER OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE 
UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 22N 175W...OR ABOUT 1000 MILES EAST OF KAUAI. 
DEEP CLOUD LAYERS SWIRLED COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AROUND THE LOW CENTER... 
OBSCURING LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY TO COMPLETELY NORTH OF THE CURVE 
FROM 30N 179W TO 17N 172W TO 20N 162W TO 30N 166W. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS ALSO DEVELOPED NEAR THE LOW WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE 
CURVE FROM 27N 177W TO 21N 170W TO 18N 172W. THIS FEATURE AS A WHOLE 
REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES ALSO SHOWED A WEAK AND DIFFUSE TROUGH OF LOW 
PRESSURE IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 24N 149W. ISOLATED TOWERING 
CUMULI FORMED UNDER THIS FEATURE WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 
26N 151W TO 21N 152W TO 17N 149W. DEEP LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES TO THE 
EAST BETWEEN 150W AND 140W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT TO MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN 
THE ITCZ BETWEEN 16N AND 07N...MOSTLY WEST OF 147W. DEEP LAYERED 
DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN THE SAME RANGE OF LATITUDE. 
HOWEVER...BETWEEN 174W AND 150W...MORE EXTENSIVE DEEP LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FLOWED NORTH UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE LOW ALOFT AS 
DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH ABOVE...MOSTLY TO COMPLETELY 
OBSCURING LOWER FEATURES AS FAR NORTH AS 22N...AND BLENDING INTO THE 
CLOUD LAYERS FORMED AROUND THE LOW ITSELF.

TO THE NORTH...A PRE-FRONTAL BAND OF LOW CLOUD LAYERS EXTENDED 
ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 26N 163W TO 
30N 151W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. THIS SECONDARY FEATURE MOVED 
NORTHWEST AT AROUND 20 MILES AN HOUR...WHILE THE MAIN FRONTAL 
CLOUD BAND...LOCATED NORTH OF 30N...MOVED SOUTH SLOWLY.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS FRAGMENTS UP TO ABOUT 120 MILES ACROSS. 
THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND 
MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...THOUGH 
WEST OF 170W THE COLD-AIR CUMULI MOVED TOWARD THE NORTHEAST TO NORTH.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS FROM THE 
SOUTH MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES. WHERE LOWER CLOUDS WERE 
VISIBLE...THEY APPEARED FAIRLY SPARSE. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY 
ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 7000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE 
ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTH OF KAUAI AND 
OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS 
AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.