Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:30:56 -0600

158 
ATHW40 PHFO 301830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE NOV 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED AT 23N176W...OR 
1050 MILES WEST OF KAUAI...MOVING NORTH-NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH. 
SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE SWIRLING AROUND A 250 MILE 
RADIUS AROUND THE CENTER ACROSS THE EASTERN FLANK. THIS LOW IS 
REFLECTED AT THE SURFACE AS A TROUGH WITH AN AXIS FROM 26N177W TO 
13N180E. THIS ENTIRE SYSTEM IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF DENSE 
LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 49 KFT 
IN HEIGHT. THIS CONVECTIVE AREA IS BOUNDED BETWEEN 11N TO 29N AND 
161W TO 174W. EAST OF THE 161W LONGITUDE LINE...THIN BANDS OF 
LAYERED HIGH EXTEND EASTWARD FROM THUNDERSTORM BLOW OFF. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE PERIODICALLY PASSING OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ON 
TOP OF A WEAK UPPER RIDGE CENTERED ACROSS THE ISLANDS.

THE PASSING BANDS OF LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS ARE OBSCURING SOME OF THE 
LOWER CLOUD FEATURES OVER HAWAII. WHERE LOWER CLOUDS WERE 
VISIBLE...OPEN-CELLED CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF THE WINDWARD AND 
LEEWARD COASTAL WATERS. THESE LOW CLOUDS EXTEND TO HEIGHTS OF 6 TO 7 
KFT ACCORDING TO SOUNDINGS AT HILO AND LIHUE THIS MORNING. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE TRAVELING TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH WITH THE TRADE 
WIND FLOW. VISIBLE SATELLITE SHOWS BROKEN CLOUDS BANKED AGAINST 
WINDWARD AND MAUKA LOCATIONS OVER THE SMALLER MAIN ISLANDS...WHILE 
LEEWARD LOCATIONS WERE SUNNY UNLESS THEY ARE OBSCURED BY THE PASSING 
HIGH CLOUD BANDS. THE BIG ISLAND CAN BE SEEN VERY WELL THROUGH THE 
BANDS AND MOST THE ISLAND IS SUNNY THIS MORNING. THE EXCEPTION BEING 
A FEW POCKETS OF CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE BUILDING UP ACROSS THE WINDWARD 
SLOPES. RADAR IS TRACKING ISOLATED WINDWARD SHOWERS MAINLY 
CONCENTRATED NEAR THE BIG ISLAND.

NORTH OF THE STATE...A 100 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS 
MARK A STATIONARY FRONT ALONG AN AXIS FROM 40N131W TO 31N151W TO 
33N170W.

ELSEWHERE...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS COVER THE ITCZ ACROSS THE 
CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN MOSTLY BETWEEN 06N TO 10N AND 147W TO 160W 
WITH STORM TOPS EXTENDING TO 49 KFT IN HEIGHT.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.