Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:29:15 -0600

752 
ATHW40 PHFO 010029
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED DEC 01 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 01 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED AT 24N177W...OR 
1100 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH. 
SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE SWIRLING AROUND A 200 MILE 
RADIUS AROUND THE CENTER ACROSS THE EASTERN FLANK. THIS LOW IS 
REFLECTED AT THE SURFACE AS A TROUGH WITH AN AXIS FROM 29N177W TO 
11N177E. THIS ENTIRE SYSTEM IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF DENSE 
LAYERED CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS 
TO 49 KFT. THIS CONVECTIVE AREA IS BOUNDED BETWEEN 10N TO 31N AND 
166W TO 174W. EAST OF THE 166W LONGITUDE LINE...BANDS OF LAYERED 
HIGH CLOUDS EXTEND EASTWARD FROM THUNDERSTORM BLOW OFF. THESE CLOUDS 
ARE PERIODICALLY PASSING OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ON TOP OF A 
WEAK UPPER RIDGE CENTERED AROUND 150 MILES WEST OF KAUAI THIS 
AFTERNOON.

TWO DISTINCT HIGH CLOUD BANDS RUN PARALLEL JUST TO THE NORTH AND 
SOUTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON. WITH BREAKS IN 
THE HIGH CLOUDS...THE LOWER CLOUDS CAN BE SEEN ON VISIBLE SATELLITE. 
SCATTERED OPEN-CELLED CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER THE OCEAN WATERS UPSTREAM 
OF THE ISLANDS AND THESE LOW CLOUDS EXTEND TO HEIGHTS OF AROUND 7 
KFT ACCORDING TO SOUNDINGS AT HILO AND LIHUE THIS AFTERNOON. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE TRAVELING TO THE WEST AT 15 MPH WITH THE TRADE WIND FLOW. 
THE ISLANDS BREAK UP THE SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS TO 80 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF THE STATE. THE ONLY CLOUDS OBSERVED IN THIS AREA ARE 
PLUME CLOUDS LEEWARD OF MOLOKAI...OAHU AND KAUAI. ON LAND...BROKEN 
CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE BANKED AGAINST THE MOUNTAINS AND WINDWARD AREAS 
FROM KAUAI THROUGH LANAI. MAUI HAS BROKEN CLOUDS OVER WEST MAUI AND 
THE LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA UP TO 8 KFT IN HEIGHT. THE BIG ISLAND 
HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS OVER ALMOST THE ENTIRE ISLAND 
INTERIOR WHILE THE COASTLINES HAVE SUNNY SKIES AROUND MOST OF THE 
ISLAND. ONE OF THE DENSE HIGH CLOUD BANDS COVER THE SOUTHERN PORTION 
OF THE BIG ISLAND.

NORTH OF THE STATE...A 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS 
MARK A FRONT ALONG AN AXIS FROM 39N130W TO 31N149W TO 32N165W.

ELSEWHERE...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS COVER THE ITCZ ACROSS THE 
CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN MOSTLY BETWEEN 06N TO 11N AND 151W TO 162W 
WITH STORM TOPS EXTENDING TO 49 KFT IN HEIGHT.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.