Subject: Central Pacific: Monthly Tropical Weather Summary

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:33:17 -0600

176 
ACPN60 PHFO 011833
TWSCP 

TROPICAL WEATHER SUMMARY FOR THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
830 AM HST WED DEC 1 2010

FOR THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC...BETWEEN 140W AND 180

...EXTREMELY QUIET HURRICANE SEASON IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC 
DURING 2010...

FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1979...THERE WERE NO TROPICAL CYCLONES IN 
THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN. LA NINA CONDITIONS DID NOT FAVOR 
TROPICAL SYSTEMS MOVING INTO THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC FROM THE 
NORTHEAST PACIFIC...WHICH IS MONITORED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE 
CENTER IN MIAMI...FLORIDA. THERE WERE ALSO NO TROPICAL SYSTEMS WHICH 
DEVELOPED LOCALLY IN THE NORTH CENTRAL PACIFIC.

ALTHOUGH LA NINA CONDITIONS ARE TYPICALLY NOT FAVORABLE FOR TROPICAL 
CYCLONES TO OCCUR IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC...AS OPPOSED TO THE 
TYPICALLY MORE ACTIVE HURRICANE SEASONS ASSOCIATED WITH EL NINO 
CONDITIONS...THERE WERE 8 TROPICAL CYCLONES IN THE BASIN DURING THE 
LA NINA OF 1985. THERE WERE OTHER YEARS WITH NO TROPICAL CYCLONES IN 
THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC DURING THE SATELLITE ERA...WHICH BEGAN IN 
1966. THESE INACTIVE YEARS INCLUDED 1969...1977 AND 1979.

EVEN THOUGH THE 2010 HURRICANE SEASON WAS EXTREMELY QUIET...THE 
UPCOMING 2011 HURRICANE SEASON...WHICH WILL OFFICIALLY START ON THE 
FIRST OF JUNE 2011...COULD POTENTIALLY HAVE MORE ACTIVITY. FOR 
EXAMPLE...FOLLOWING THE INACTIVE 1969...1977 AND 1979 HURRICANE 
SEASONS...THERE WERE 3 TROPICAL CYCLONES DURING 1970...7 TROPICAL 
CYCLONES DURING 1978 AND 2 TROPICAL CYCLONES DURING 1980... 
RESPECTIVELY.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION...VISIT THE CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE
CENTER WEB SITE AT...WEATHER.GOV/CPHC

$$

HOUSTON/RBALLARD/KODAMA/TANABE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.