Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 06:06:58 -0600

944 
ATHW40 PHFO 031206
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI DEC 03 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 03 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD AND ACTIVE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN 
THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR THE DATELINE. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
DEVELOPED UNDER THIS FEATURE WEST OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 176W TO 18N 
168W TO 14N 172W TO 18N 180. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ALSO DEVELOPED 
WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE POINT 29N 170W AND WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE 
POINT 26N 165W. DEEP LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THIS LOW OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY TO COMPLETELY NORTH OF THE 
CURVE FROM 20N 180 TO 22N 173W TO 15N 173W TO 15N 169W TO 19N 166W 
TO 14N 164W TO 17N 160W TO 20N 161W TO 21N 151W TO 30N 148W. THIS 
FEATURE AS A WHOLE MOVED EAST SLOWLY...WHILE THE CLOUD LAYERS MOVED 
SOUTHEAST AT VARIOUS SPEEDS DEPENDING ON ALTITUDE.

A FRAYING BAND OF LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH A 
WEAKENING FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 75 MILES OF 
THE CURVE FROM 24N 161W TO 20N 154W TO 19N 144W TO 21N 140W AND 
FURTHER NORTHEAST. THIS FEATURE MOVED SOUTH AT 10 TO 15 MILES AN 
HOUR. DENSELY PACKED COLD-AIR CUMULI PREVAILED BETWEEN THIS BAND AND 
30N...LOCALLY MERGING INTO AREAS OF OVERCAST NORTH OF 22N.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 11N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN ABOUT 
THE SAME RANGE OF LATITUDE.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS FRAGMENTS...THOUGH THESE CLOUDS DID TEND 
TO CLUMP TOGETHER LOOSELY BETWEEN 17N AND 14N. THEY GENERALLY ROSE 
TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD THE WEST AT 
AROUND 20 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS FROM THE 
NORTHWEST PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES FROM KAUAI COUNTY 
TO MAUI COUNTY. WHERE THEY WERE VISIBLE...LOWER CLOUDS CONSISTED 
MAINLY OF LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS FROM THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND 
MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING NORTHEAST TO EAST. HOWEVER...
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS ON THURSDAY 
STILL LANGUISHED IN PLACES...ESPECIALLY ALONG LOWER SOUTHWEST SLOPES 
OF THE BIG ISLAND. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 
12000 TO 15000 FEET...IN PLACES BLENDING INTO THE HIGHER CLOUD 
LAYERS.

RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED AREAS OF RAIN ALONG THE 
NORTHEAST SLOPES OF MOST ISLANDS FROM KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND. THESE 
RADAR RETURNS CORRELATED WELL WITH THE POSITION OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD 
BAND. OTHERWISE...RADAR DATA SHOWED ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.