Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:22:08 -0600

166 
ATHW40 PHFO 031821
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI DEC 03 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 03 2010

NOTE...THERE HAS BEEN A NATIONWIDE DATA DISRUPTION...SO WE ARE 
OPERATING WITH LIMITED DATA.

THE TRAILING END OF A FRONTAL BAND LIES OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST AREAS OF 
THE ISLANDS FROM NIIHAU TO MAUI WITH SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER SOME 
LOWER LEEWARD AREAS. SHOWERY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE WINDWARD 
SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM UPOLU POINT TO SOUTH POINT THESE CLOUDS 
EXTEND UPSLOPE INTO THE SOUTHEAST SIDE OF  THE HUMUULA SADDLE 
BETWEEN MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. LOW CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER THE 
LEEWARD SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND. THERE ARE THIN BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS 
OVER KAUAI. THESE HIGH CLOUDS DIMINISH FARTHER SOUTH AND EAST. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED MODERATE SHOWERS OVER KAUAI AND THE SOUTHEAST 
SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND AND ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS ELSEWHERE OVER THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

THE CLOUD BAND OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS SOUTH OF A LINE 
FROM 21N140W TO 19N150W TO JUST OFFSHORE OF THE ISLANDS FROM THE BIG 
ISLAND TO OAHU TO LIHUE WHERE THE BAND BECOMES OBSCURED BY HIGHER 
CLOUDS. THE PART OF THE BAND EAST OF 151W IS 170 MILES WIDE AND 
CONTAINS SHOWERY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. THE BAND TAPERS DOWN TO 100 
MILES WIDE NEAR THE BIG ISLAND. THE PART OF THE BAND OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS PARTLY BROKEN UP AND THE SOUTH EDGE OF THE BAND 
IS DISCONTINUOUS. THERE IS A 90 MILE WIDE ZONE OF ISOLATED TO 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS JUST NORTHEAST OF THE FRONTAL BAND. LOW CLOUDS 
NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST AT 30 TO 35 
MPH. THERE ARE SCATTERED...RATHER STABLE APPEARING...LOW CLOUDS 
IMMEDIATELY UPSTREAM OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. FARTHER NORTHEAST 
OF THE ISLANDS IS A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LONG-WAVE TROUGH ALOFT NEARLY STATIONARY FROM 30N134W TO 
12N138W. A SHORT-WAVE TROUGH FROM 31N150W TO 30N160W HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH. ANOTHER LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED 
AT 19N179W. THERE ARE OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND SCATTERED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS NORTH BETWEEN 20N AND 30N BETWEEN 175W AND 178E.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.