Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:33:02 -0600

861 
ATHW40 PHFO 040032
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT DEC 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 04 2010

THE REMNANT OF A FRONTAL BAND HAS MOVED SOUTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. CLOUD COVER HAS DECREASED OVER MOST AREAS AROUND THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SINCE THIS MORNING...BUT CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED OVER 
THE INTERIOR AND LEEWARD AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII. 

LOW CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER NIIHAU AND LANAI. CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED 
OVER MOST AREAS OF KAUAI...OAHU...MOLOKAI AND MAUI...BUT THERE ARE 
PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES. OVERCAST CLOUDS 
BLANKET MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND BUT CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER THE 
VERY SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA AND THERE ARE ONLY ISOLATED 
CLOUDS ALONG THE COAST AND LOWER SLOPES FROM 15 MILES NORTHEAST OF 
KAILUA-KONA TO UPOLU POINT. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH 
CLOUDS OVER THE ISLANDS...BUT THESE CLOUDS ARE QUITE THIN. RADARS 
SHOW NUMEROUS LIGHT TO MODERATE SHOWERS OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF 
THE BIG ISLAND AND ONLY VERY ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS ELSEWHERE AROUND 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

LOW CLOUD MOTIONS NEAR THE BIG ISLAND ARE FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 
25 TO 30 MPH...SLOWING TO 20 TO 25 MPH NEAR KAUAI. THERE ARE ONLY 
SCATTERED...STABLE LOW CLOUDS IMMEDIATELY UPSTREAM OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. CLOUD COVER INCREASES TO SCATTERED TO BROKEN ABOUT 
120 MILES UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS.

THE TRAILING END OF AN OLD FRONTAL BAND LIES SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 
20N140W TO 18.5N150W TO 20 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 60 
MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI WHERE THE BAND BECOMES PARTLY OBSCURED BY 
HIGHER CLOUDS. THE PART OF THE BAND EAST OF 155W IS 120 MILES WIDE 
AND CONTAINS SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. THE PART OF THE 
OLD FRONT WEST OF 155W IS A DISCONTINUOUS BAND OF SHOWERY SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. THE OLD FRONTAL BAND HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD 
THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT 12 MPH. A LESS-WELL-ORGANIZED BAND OF SHOWERY 
LOW CLOUDS IS SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 17N140W TO 14N155W TO 20N167W. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A SHORT-WAVE TROUGH FROM 31N153W TO 28N160W. THIS TROUGH HAS 
BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH. A LOW ALOFT IS 
CENTERED 1235 MILES WEST OF KAUAI AT 20N179W. THE LOW HAS BEEN 
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH AND WEAKENING. THERE 
ARE OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS NORTH 
OF 20N WEST OF 174W. A 500 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS 
COVERS THE AREA FROM 20N TO 27N BETWEEN 140W AND 175W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.