Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 23:30:06 -0600

268 
ATHW40 PHFO 040529
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT DEC 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 04 2010

THE TAIL END OF AN OLD FRONTAL REMNANT WAS LINGERING SOUTH OF THE 
ISLANDS THIS FRIDAY EVENING.  THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE DECAYING  
CLOUD BAND EXTENDED FROM 21N 140W TO 18N 155W.  THE WEST END OF THE 
BAND WAS 80 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND.  THE EAST AND WEST ENDS 
OF THE BAND WERE ABOUT 100 MILES WIDE WITH THE WIDER...CENTRAL PART 
OF THE BAND BEING ABOUT 170 MILES WIDE.  

THE FRONTAL REMNANT HAD BECOME DETACHED FROM THE MAIN EXTENDING 
FROM 20N 135W THROUGH 30N 125W. THE FRONT CONTINUED NORTH TO A LOW 
PRESSURE CENTER NEAR 34N 128W. THE CLOUD BAND SOUTH OF THE STATE WAS 
DRIFTING SLOWLY TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A COUPLE OF UPPER LOWS FAR WEST OF THE 
STATE.  ONE WAS IN THE VICINITY OF 21N 179W AND THE OTHER WAS ACROSS 
THE DATELINE NEAR 28N 172E.  WIDELY SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH 
TOPS UP TO 47000 WERE FORMING IN THE AREA FROM 17N TO 30N BETWEEN 
174W AND 178E.  A FEW...SPARSE...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE NOTED 
CLOSER TO THE ISLANDS FROM 18N TO 29N BETWEEN 165W AND 169W.

AN UPPER LEVEL SHORT-WAVE TROUGH EXTENDED ROUGHLY FROM 26N152W TO 
26N158W.  THIS SHORT-WAVE WAS MOVING SOUTHEAST NEAR 30 MPH.  THE 
TAIL END OF A MORE SIGNIFICANT UPPER TROUGH NORTHEAST OF THE STATE 
EXTENDED THROUGH 27N 140W TO 27N 148W.  THIS TROUGH WAS MOVING SOUTH 
AT JUST OVER 20 MILES AN HOUR. 

A SWATH OF MOSTLY BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS WAS PASSING JUST NORTHEAST OF 
THE STATE.  IT WAS FLOWING EASTWARD AND JUST MISSING THE ISLANDS. 
THE ROUGHLY 210 MILES WIDE SWATH WAS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 23N 
141W TO 22N 155W. 

PATCHES AND SMALL CLUSTERS OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE 
LOCATED EAST AND NORTH OF THE ISLAND CHAIN.  MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES 
PREVAILED WITHIN 75 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS AT 7 PM EXCEPT 
FOR A LOW CLOUD PLUME FLOWING OFF THE SOUTHWEST PART OF THE BIG 
ISLAND.

ELSEWHERE...ITCZ THUNDERSTORMS TO THE SOUTH WERE MAINLY FORMING 
BETWEEN 07N AND 11N FROM 163W TO 173W.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.