Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:31:05 -0600

494 
ATHW40 PHFO 050530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN DEC 05 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 05 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY WAS SHOWING AN UPPER LEVEL LOW FAR NORTHEAST OF 
THE STATE NEAR 33N 135W.  AN UPPER TROUGH EXTENDED FROM THE LOW TO 
JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO NEAR 17N 158W.  THE SOUTHWEST END OF 
THE TROUGH NEAR THE STATE WAS MOVING SOUTHEAST NEAR 15 MILES AN 
HOUR.  THE UPPER LOW WAS MOVING MORE SLOWLY SOUTHEASTWARD. 

AN UPPER RIDGE EXTENDED ROUGHLY FROM 18N 165W TO 30N 171W.  WITH 
THIS RIDGE JUST TO OUR WEST AND THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS EAST OF THE 
STATE...THE AIR MASS AROUND THE ISLANDS TENDED TO BE ON THE DRY AND 
STABLE SIDE. 

AN UPPER TROUGH JUST BEYOND THE DATELINE EXTENDED FROM FROM 19N 
177E TO 30N 173E.  THIS UPPER TROUGH WAS PRODUCING UNSTABLE WEATHER 
IN THE WAY OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS FROM 16N TO 29N BETWEEN 173W 
AND 176E.  THE TROUGH HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST 24 
HOURS. 

A WEAKENING SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE AREA JUST NORTH-NORTHEAST OF THE 
STATE THIS EVENING WAS GUIDING TIGHTLY BUNCHED PATCHES OF MOSTLY 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS INTO THE STATE.  THESE LOW CLOUDS WERE MOVING 
WEST NEAR 25 MILES AN HOUR.  AT 7 PM...MOST OF THESE LOW CLOUDS IN 
THE AREA WERE AFFECTING THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND AND EAST 
MAUI.  TO A LESSER EXTENT...THE LOW CLOUDS WERE FINDING THEIR WAY 
ONTO MAINLY THE EAST AND NORTH SIDES OF THE OTHER ISLANDS.  FEW 
CLOUDS WERE NOTED ON THE DOWNWIND SIDE OF THE STATE EXCEPT FOR A FEW 
NARROW LOW CLOUD PLUMES THAT FORM LEE OF THE MOUNTAINS. 

THE UPPER LEVEL WEST TO EAST WINDS BETWEEN THE BIG ISLAND AND THE 
ITCZ AROUND 09N WERE CARRYING STRANDS OF BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS 
EASTWARD MAINLY FROM 10N TO 16N EAST OF 170W.  AN INSIGNIFICANT 
AMOUNT OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN WISPS OF CIRRUS WERE NOTED IMMEDIATELY 
SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.