Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 12:28:48 -0600

344 
ATHW40 PHFO 081828
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED DEC 08 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 08 2010

A SURFACE FRONT 375 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI HAS DISPLACED THE 
SUBTROPICAL RIDGE OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WHERE LIGHT WINDS 
AND MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES DOMINATE.

THE NEARLY STATIONARY SURFACE FRONT IS MARKED BY A 250 MILE WIDE 
BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS CENTERED ALONG 30N150W...25N165W... 
AND 17N177W. ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISE AS HIGH AS 50000 
FT ALONG THE FRONT...WITH THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF THUNDERSTORMS FOUND 
WEST OF 165W. WHILE A BROAD AND DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OCCUPIES 
MUCH OF THE NORTHEAST PACIFIC...A SMALLER UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MOVING 
TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH ALONG 30N174W AND 10N180 IS 
PROVIDING THE TRIGGER FOR THE ENHANCED THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY ALONG 
THE FRONT WEST OF 165W. THE UPPER TROUGH IS ALSO PRODUCING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS JUST EAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL.

THE FRONT HAS DISPLACED THE NEARLY WEST TO EAST ORIENTED LOW LEVEL 
RIDGE OVER OAHU. AS A RESULT...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING FROM 
THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT LESS THAN 10 MPH NEAR KAUAI...WHILE FEW LOW 
CLOUDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST NEAR OAHU AND MAUI 
COUNTY. THE FLOW NEAR KAUAI WAS STRONG ENOUGH TO OVERPOWER LAND 
BREEZES ON THE SOUTHWEST SIDE OF THE ISLAND...PRODUCING BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS OVER THE TERRAIN. ELSEWHERE ON KAUAI AND THE REST OF THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS...MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES PREVAIL. ON THE BIG ISLAND... 
LAND BREEZES HAVE PRODUCED CLEAR SKIES OVER ALL AREAS EXCEPT FOR THE 
SOUTHEAST SLOPES OF PUNA...WHERE SOUTHEASTERLY LOW LEVEL FLOW IS 
PUSHING ASHORE A SMALL AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN AREA OF MID LEVEL SUBSIDENCE OVER AND 
EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI COUNTY BEING ERODED BY THE COMBINED 
EFFECTS OF THE BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE NORTHEAST PACIFIC 
AND THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH APPROACHING FROM THE WEST. 

A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH IS PASSING 375 MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI ROUGHLY 
ALONG 18N160W AND 13N160W. DEVELOPING UPPER LEVEL TROUGHING OVER THE 
REGION IS TRIGGERING AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM ALONG THE TROUGH NEAR 
16N160W. A SMALL AREA BROKEN LOW LEVEL CLOUDS EXTEND NORTH OF THE 
TROUGH INTO HAWAIIAN OFFSHORE WATERS.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.