Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:31:51 -0600

670 
ATHW40 PHFO 090031
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU DEC 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 09 2010

A RAGGED SURFACE FRONT 350 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS HOLDING THE 
SUBTROPICAL RIDGE OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WHERE LIGHT WINDS 
HAVE LED TO AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES AND SOME INTERIOR CLOUDS.

WITH THE EAST TO WEST ORIENTED SURFACE RIDGE NEAR OAHU...THE LOW 
LEVEL FLOW IS RATHER LIGHT OVER HAWAIIAN WATERS. SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS NEAR KAUAI AND NORTHEAST OF MAUI ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE 
SOUTH TO SOUTH SOUTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. AS A RESULT...AFTERNOON 
SEA BREEZES HAVE LED TO SMALL AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER 
INTERIOR SECTIONS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. CLOUD COVER IS A BIT MORE 
EXTENSIVE ON THE BIG ISLAND...THANKS TO A SMALL AREA OF CLOUDS THAT 
MOVED UP FROM THE SOUTH TODAY. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST MIDDLE 
SLOPES AS WELL AS THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN 
PORTION OF THE ISLAND.

THE NEARLY STATIONARY SURFACE FRONT 350 MILES NORTHWEST IS BEING 
INVIGORATED BY AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MOVING IN FROM THE WEST. THE 
UPPER TROUGH AXIS RUNS ALONG 30N173W...23N172W...AND 10N180 AND IS 
MOVING TO THE EAST AROUND 20 MPH. A 350 MILE WIDE SHIELD OF OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS HAS DEVELOPED ALONG THE 
FRONT TODAY WITHIN 175 MILES OF A LINE FROM 30N163W TO 22N167W. THE 
FRONT NARROWS TO A 250 MILE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 49000 FT FROM 22N167W TO 
17N175W. ADDITIONAL ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FOUND WEST OF THE 
FRONT AND CLOSER TO THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS WITHIN 50 MILES OF A LINE 
FROM 29N170W TO 25N175W.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN AREA OF MID LEVEL SUBSIDENCE OVER AND 
EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI COUNTY BEING CONTINUALLY ERODED BY 
THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF THE BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE 
NORTHEAST PACIFIC AND THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH APPROACHING FROM THE 
WEST. 

A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH IS PASSING 375 MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI ROUGHLY 
ALONG 18N161W AND 15N161W. DEVELOPING UPPER LEVEL TROUGHING OVER THE 
REGION IS TRIGGERING AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM ALONG THE TROUGH NEAR 
17N161W. A SMALL AREA BROKEN LOW LEVEL CLOUDS ALONG THE TROUGH 
EXTENDS NORTH OF THE TROUGH INTO HAWAIIAN OFFSHORE WATERS.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.