Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 23:26:52 -0600

520 
ATHW40 PHFO 090526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU DEC 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 09 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A COMPLEX INTERSECTION OF SEVERAL FRONTS PRODUCED 
A VARIETY OF CLOUD COVER ACROSS A WIDE AREA. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
DEVELOPED WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE POINT 27N 169W...WITHIN 75 MILES 
OF THE LINE FROM 23N 170W TO 28N 158W...AND WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE 
LINE FROM 16N 178W TO 18N 171W. ASSOCIATED DEEP CLOUD LAYERS 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES BETWEEN THE CURVE FROM 28N 180 TO 27N 179W 
TO 27N 171W TO 30N 170W AND THE CURVE FROM 21N 180 TO 21N 172W TO 
15N 174W TO 30N 148W. HIGH CLOUD LAYERS ALSO WERE PRESENT UP TO 
ABOUT 250 MILES FURTHER SOUTHEAST. ALTHOUGH THE CLOUDS MAKING UP 
THIS FEATURE MOVED DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON HEIGHT AND LOCATION... 
THE FEATURE AS A WHOLE REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY.

MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND LOW TO MIDDLE STRATUS LAYERS ORGANIZED INTO 
NOTICEABLE CLUMPS AS WIND CONVERGED ALONG AN AXIS SOUTHEAST OF THE 
FRONTS. THIS AREA OF CONVERGENCE WAS LOCATED WITHIN 180 MILES OF THE 
LINE FROM 18N 160W TO 26N 140W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. CLOUDS NEAR 
THE SOUTHWEST END OF THIS FEATURE WERE FAIRLY WELL DEVELOPED...EVEN 
INCLUDING A THUNDERSTORM.

TO THE SOUTH...VERY LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE 
ITCZ BETWEEN 12N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES 
FROM 13N TO 04N.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
FRAGMENTED MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI...THOUGH A FEW CLUMPS UP 
TO 250 MILES ACROSS DID OCCUR. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD 
THE WEST AT AROUND 15 MILES AN HOUR...THOUGH AS THEY APPROACHED THE 
FRONTS THEY TURNED TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AND THEN THE NORTH. THEY 
ROSE TYPICALLY TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...THOUGH TALLER 
CUMULI AND HIGHER CLOUD LAYERS APPROACHED 15000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THIN LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS OBSCURED 
KAUAI COUNTY MOSTLY...BUT MAUI COUNTY AND OAHU PARTLY. WHERE IT WAS 
VISIBLE...LOWER CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS INLAND...THOUGH A FEW MARINE 
CUMULI ALSO MOVED ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING EAST. AREAS WITH THE 
GREATEST CLOUD COVER INCLUDED CENTRAL WEST KAUAI...CENTRAL LANAI... 
THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...MIDDLE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...MOST 
MIDDLE SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND THE HAMAKUA COAST ON THE BIG 
ISLAND. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 7000 
FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS WELL 
OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND SCATTERED SHOWERS 
JUST OFFSHORE FROM THE EAST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED 
SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.