Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:07:51 -0600

484 
ATHW40 PHFO 091207
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU DEC 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 09 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A COMPLEX INTERSECTION OF SEVERAL FRONTS PRODUCED 
A VARIETY OF CLOUD COVER ACROSS A WIDE AREA. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
DEVELOPED WITHIN 125 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 27N 172W TO 21N 165W TO 
30N 154W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST...AND WITHIN 125 MILES OF THE LINE 
FROM 14N 178W TO 16N 171W. ASSOCIATED DEEP CLOUD LAYERS OBSCURED 
LOWER FEATURES NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 169W TO 26N 177W TO 14N 
173W TO 30N 150W. THIN HIGH CLOUD LAYERS ALSO WERE PRESENT UP TO 
ABOUT 400 MILES FURTHER SOUTHEAST. ALTHOUGH THE CLOUDS MAKING UP 
THIS FEATURE MOVED DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON HEIGHT AND LOCATION... 
THE FEATURE AS A WHOLE MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 5 TO 10 MILES AN HOUR.

MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND LOW TO MIDDLE STRATUS LAYERS ORGANIZED INTO 
NOTICEABLE CLUMPS AS WIND CONVERGED ALONG AN AXIS SOUTHEAST OF THE 
FRONTS. THIS AREA OF CONVERGENCE WAS LOCATED WITHIN 180 MILES OF THE 
LINE FROM 18N 162W TO 27N 140W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. CLOUDS NEAR 
THE SOUTHWEST END OF THIS FEATURE WERE ESPECIALLY WELL DEVELOPED... 
EVEN INCLUDING A FEW TOWERING CUMULI.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 13N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES FROM 
15N TO 05N.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
FRAGMENTED MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI...THOUGH A FEW CLUMPS UP 
TO 150 MILES ACROSS DID OCCUR. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD 
THE WEST AT AROUND 15 MILES AN HOUR...THOUGH AS THEY APPROACHED THE 
FRONTS THEY TURNED TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AND THEN THE NORTH. THESE 
CLOUDS ROSE TYPICALLY TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...THOUGH 
TALLER CUMULI AND HIGHER CLOUD LAYERS APPROACHED 21000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THIN HIGH CLOUD LAYERS PARTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES. WHERE THEY WERE VISIBLE...LOWER CLOUDS 
CONSISTED ABOUT EQUALLY OF STRATUS LAYERS EXTENDING FROM THE KAUAI 
CHANNEL TO MOLOKAI...AND OF LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM TOWERING 
CUMULI DEVELOPING TO THE NORTHEAST CLOCKWISE THROUGH SOUTHWEST OF 
KAUAI. LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS ON 
WEDNESDAY NO LONGER COULD BE IDENTIFIED. THESE LOWER CLOUDS VARIED 
CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 5000 TO 12000 FEET...WITH A FEW TOWERING 
CUMULI APPROACHING 21000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS 
SHOWED AREAS OF RAIN OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST CLOCKWISE THROUGH 
SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...AND SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER PUNA DISTRICT ON THE 
BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.