Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:30:22 -0600

768 
ATHW40 PHFO 091830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC THU DEC 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 09 2010

A LARGE COMPLEX LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM HAS BEEN AFFECTING THE HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS THIS MORNING.  WATER VAPOR WIND DATA INDICATED THAT THE 
TROUGH AXIS WAS ALONG A LINE FROM 30N 171W TO 22N 166W THEN 
SOUTHWESTWARD THROUGH 10N 172W. THE TROUGH HAS PRODUCED A LARGE 
AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS
EXTENDING 700 TO 800 MILES NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 30N 150W TO 18N 
161W. THIS AREA COVERED ALL OF KAUAI AND MOST OF OAHU. EMBEDDED 
THUNDERSTORM TOPS REACHED UP TO 49000 FT ABOUT 60 MILES EAST OF 
LIHUE AND 48000 FT ABOUT 500 MILES WEST OF BARKING SANDS. RADAR DATA 
FROM KAUAI INDICATED A LINE OF VERY HEAVY RAINFALL IN THE KAUAI 
CHANNEL. INDIVIDUAL RAIN CELLS WITHIN THE LINE WERE MOVING TOWARD 
THE NORTH-NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MILES PER HOUR WHILE THE LINE ITSELF 
WAS PROGRESSING EASTWARD AT 15 MILES PER HOUR.

OVER THE EAST HALF OF THE STATE...SCATTERED TO BROKEN MID-LEVEL 
CLOUDS WITH TOPS AT 10 TO 15 THOUSAND FEET COVERED MAUI COUNTY AND 
THE NORTHWESTERN SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND.  THE REST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND WAS MOSTLY CLEAR EXCEPT FOR SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ALONG THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF THE PUNA AND KAU DISTRICTS. COASTAL 
WATERS SOUTH AND WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND HAD SCATTERED LOW LEVEL 
CLOUD LINES ORIENTED SOUTH TO NORTH.  THESE CLOUDS WERE MOVING 
NORTHWESTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MILES PER HOUR.

ALTHOUGH DEEP CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...WAS SOUTH OF 10N...THE AFOREMENTIONED  
LARGE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WAS PULLING UP A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF 
HIGH LEVEL LAYERED CLOUDS.  THESE CLOUDS WERE BROKEN TO OVERCAST IN 
COVERAGE AND EXTENDED ABOUT 500 MILES SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 17N 
159W TO 12N 169W.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.