Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 18:25:12 -0600

517 
ATHW40 PHFO 100025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI DEC 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 10 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOW A LARGE COMPLEX LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WEST OF 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. A LARGE SWATH OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CLOUD LAYERS GENERATED BY THIS SYSTEM COVERS THE AREA BETWEEN 153W 
AND 170W FROM 10N TO 30N. THE MOST ACTIVE PORTION WAS WITHIN A BAND 
EXTENDING ROUGHLY 600 MILES NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 25N 153W TO 20N 
160W. THUNDERSTORMS WERE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS BAND ALONG NORTHEAST 
TO SOUTHWEST LINES WITH CLOUD TOPS REACHING UP TO 48000 FT.  ONE OF 
THE BANDS...60 MILES WIDE...WAS CENTERED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE KAUAI 
CHANNEL. ANOTHER 60 MILE WIDE BAND WAS CENTERED ABOUT 50 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.  RADAR DATA INDICATED VERY HEAVY RAINFALL WITHIN 
BOTH BANDS. 

THE SYSTEM/S LAYERED CLOUDS SOUTH OF 20N HAVE BEEN DRAWN UP FROM 
THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...AND DID NOT APPEAR TO 
HAVE MUCH EMBEDDED DEEP CONVECTION. THE DEEP CONVECTION CORES 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE ITCZ WERE MAINLY SOUTH OF 10N.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KAUAI...OAHU...MOLOKAI AND LANAI 
WERE OBSCURED BY BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUD LAYERS.  HIGH CLOUD COVER 
WAS THIN ENOUGH OVER MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND TO REVEAL THE LOWER 
LEVEL CLOUDS.  MAUI HAD BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE SOUTHWEST SLOPES 
OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS AND ONLY A FEW CLOUDS ELSEWHERE.  THE BIG 
ISLAND HAD BROKEN CLOUDS COVERING THE UPPER SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA AND 
MAUNA LOA BUT LOWER ELEVATIONS HAD VERY FEW LOW CLOUDS.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.