Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 23:10:58 -0600

481 
ATHW40 PHFO 100510
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI DEC 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 10 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A COMPLEX INTERSECTION OF SEVERAL FRONTS PRODUCED 
A VARIETY OF CLOUD COVER ACROSS A WIDE AREA. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
DEVELOPED WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 19N 169W TO 23N 157W. 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS AND TOWERING CUMULI ALSO APPEARED IN THE 
RELATIVELY CLEAR AIR WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 27N 68W TO 
19N 172W TO 16N 166W. ASSOCIATED DEEP CLOUD LAYERS OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 164W TO 24N 169W TO 17N 164W TO 
22N 152W TO 30N 150W. THIN HIGH CLOUD LAYERS ALSO WERE PRESENT IN 
PLACES UP TO ABOUT 250 MILES FURTHER EAST. ALTHOUGH THE CLOUDS 
COMPOSING THIS FEATURE MOVED DIFFERENTLY DEPENDING ON HEIGHT AND 
LOCATION...THE FEATURE AS A WHOLE DRIFTED SOUTHEAST SLOWLY.

TO THE WEST...MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND LOW TO MIDDLE STRATUS LAYERS 
ORGANIZED INTO WEAKENING AND ROPY CLOUD BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
FRONTS. ONE WAS LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 21N 180 TO 
23N 176W TO 23N 167W AND FURTHER WEST. ANOTHER WAS LOCATED WITHIN 45 
MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 17N 180 TO 19N 177W TO 18N 174W TO 21N 168W 
AND FURTHER WEST. THESE FEATURES DRIFTED SOUTH SLOWLY.

TO THE NORTHEAST...MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND LOW TO MIDDLE STRATUS 
LAYERS ALSO ORGANIZED INTO NOTICEABLE BANDS AS WIND CONVERGED ALONG 
AN AXIS EAST OF THE FRONTS. THIS AREA OF CLOUDS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 
75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 24N 148W TO 29N 145W TO 29N 141W.
 
TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 14N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES FROM 
15N TO 06N...AND MERGED INTO THE LARGE MASS OF CLOUD LAYERS 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE INTERSECTION OF FRONTS FURTHER NORTH.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
FRAGMENTED MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI...THOUGH ONE LARGE CLUMP 
OF STRATUS WAS PRESENT IN THE AREA EAST OF 143W AND SOUTH OF 19N. 
THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN 
HOUR...THOUGH AS THEY APPROACHED THE FRONTS THEY TURNED TOWARD THE 
NORTHWEST AND THEN THE NORTH. THEY ROSE TYPICALLY TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 
TO 9000 FEET...THOUGH TALLER CUMULI AND HIGHER CLOUD LAYERS 
APPROACHED 15000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD LAYERS GENERALLY IN EXCESS 
OF 30000 FEET DEEP OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES ALMOST COMPLETELY. FROM 
THE KAUAI CHANNEL NORTHWEST...A LARGE AREA OF MERGED THUNDERSTORM 
ANVILS APPROACHED 50000 FEET...WITH A FEW CLOUD TOPS EXCEEDING EVEN 
THAT HEIGHT. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED HEAVY RAIN FROM 
THE KAUAI CHANNEL NORTHWEST...SCATTERED HEAVY SHOWERS WELL OFFSHORE 
TO THE SOUTHWEST THROUGH WEST OF OAHU...AND ISOLATED HEAVY SHOWERS 
OVER NORTH CENTRAL OAHU...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.