Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:34:35 -0600

643 
ATHW40 PHFO 121834
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN DEC 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 12 2010

TWO MAJOR CLOUD FEATURES ARE IMMEDIATELY NOTICEABLE WITHIN THE 
CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC BASIN THIS MORNING. THE FIRST FEATURE IS AN 
AREA OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EAST OF A LINE FROM 33N140W TO 
20N151W TO 10N156W. THE SECOND FEATURE IS ALSO AN AREA OF OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS...BUT NORTH OF A LINE FROM 21N180W TO 33N160W...AND 
SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 33N160W TO 42N180W. BOTH FEATURES MARK FRONTAL 
BOUNDARIES EAST AND WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...RESPECTIVELY. 

SMALLER CLOUD FEATURES INCLUDE A RAGGED 90 TO 120 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB... 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 18N166W TO 13N180W. THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE IS MARKED BY A 120 MILE WIDE BAND OF ISOLATED CB 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 07N157W TO 05N140W. THIS BAND THINS A BIT AND 
LOSES THE CB NORTH OF A LINE FROM 07N157W TO 04N170W TO 04N180W. 

FIRST VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS BROKEN LOW CLOUD COVER ACROSS WINDWARD 
HAWAIIAN WATERS WEST OF MAUI. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO 
LIE EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. KAUAI HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS ITS 
EASTERN HALF...WHILE OAHU HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ONLY ACROSS THE 
KOOLAU SUMMITS. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LIE ACROSS THE 
EASTERN TIP OF MOLOKAI...BUT LANAI AND MAUI APPEAR TO BE FREE OF LOW 
CLOUDS. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS DOT SKIES ACROSS PUNA 
DISTRICT OF THE BIG ISLAND...LEAVING THE REST OF THAT ISLAND BENEATH 
CLEAR SKIES. SNOWCAPS ON THE MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA SUMMITS ARE 
CLEARLY VISIBLE. 

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THERE IS A BIT OF VEERING 
FROM EAST TO WEST ACROSS THE ISLANDS.

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.