Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 18:32:19 -0600

505 
ATHW40 PHFO 130032
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON DEC 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 13 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A LARGE UPPER LEVEL LOW NORTHWEST OF THE 
AREA NEAR 35N175E...WITH A SHORTWAVE TROUGH EXTENDING TO 30N180. THE 
LOW IS NEARLY STATIONARY...AND THE TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 
30 MPH. A 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TROUGH 
IS LOCATED GENERALLY EAST OF A LINE FROM 30N175W TO 26N180...OR FROM 
ABOUT 225 MILES NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL TO 225 MILES SOUTHWEST OF 
MIDWAY. THIS AREA OF CLOUDS IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF BROKEN CUMULUS 
AND TOWERING CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 30 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS CLOUD BAND. THESE CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 42000 
FT. BROKEN CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO LOCATED 
THROUGHOUT THIS AREA. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE LOCATED GENERALLY NORTH 
OF 19N WEST OF 170W...AND NORTH OF 27N WEST OF 160W. THESE CLOUDS 
ARE MOVING TO NORTHEAST AND EAST AT 60 TO 70 MPH. 

A SECOND AREA OF LAYERED CLOUDS IS LOCATED GENERALLY BETWEEN 13N AND 
21N EAST OF 151W. LOW CLOUDS IN THIS AREA ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 
AROUND 20 MPH. MIDDLE AND HIGH LAYER CLOUDS IN THIS AREA ARE MOVING 
TO THE NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. FARTHER TO THE NORTH...A 300 MILE 
WIDE BAND OF CLOUDS IS ASSOCIATED WITH A NEARLY STATIONARY FRONT. 
THE LEADING EDGE OF THESE CLOUDS EXTENDS FROM 30N138W TO 25N146W. 
THE BAND IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS AND 
STRATOCUMULUS ELEMENTS...WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS ELEMENTS. 
THIS BAND OF CLOUDS IS NEARLY STATIONARY. AREAS OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED FARTHER SOUTHWEST FROM THIS AREA... 
EXTENDING TOWARD THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS CLOUDS ELEMENTS... 
AND ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI...AND EXTEND UP TO 100 MILES 
UPSTREAM TO THE NORTHEAST AND EAST. A NARROW BAND OF LOW CLOUDS ALSO 
EXTENDS 120 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE WEST...COVERING A PORTION OF 
NIIHAU. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SLOPES OF THE KOOLAU 
AND WAIANAE RANGES ON OAHU. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 60 MILES UPSTREAM TO 
THE NORTHEAST...AND 15 MILES DOWNSTREAM TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE 
ISLAND. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR AND SOUTHERN SECTIONS 
OF MOLOKAI AND OF LANAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR OF THE 
WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE LOWER 
SLOPES OF HALEAKALA BELOW 7000 FT. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND OFFSHORE UP 
TO 60 MILES UPSTREAM TO THE NORTHEAST AND EAST OF MAUI. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD 
SECTIONS FROM NORTH KOHALA TO PUNA DISTRICTS GENERALLY BELOW 7000 
FT. BROKEN CLOUDS COVER KAU DISTRICT BELOW 9000 FT. BROKEN CLOUDS 
ALSO COVER NORTH AND SOUTH KONA AND SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICTS BELOW 
9000 FT...ALTHOUGH THE IMMEDIATE COASTLINES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. THE 
EXCEPTION IS FROM MILOLII SOUTHWARD...WHERE A 20 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
CLOUDS EXTENDS 120 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST. WHILE THE 
SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ARE FREE OF CLOUDS...THE SNOWPACK 
ABOVE 11000-12000 FT IS BLENDING IN WITH THE CLOUDS THAT HAVE 
DEVELOPED ACROSS THE MIDDLE SLOPES. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.