Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:31:08 -0600

534 
ATHW40 PHFO 130531
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON DEC 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 13 2010

A STILL DISCERNIBLE FRONTAL BAND EXTENDED THROUGH 30N 140W TO 26N 
152W.  A LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ZONE WAS LYING IMMEDIATELY SOUTHEAST 
OF THE FRONTAL BAND AND EXTENDED FROM 30N 140W TO 24N 150W.  BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST LOW TO MID LEVEL CLOUDS ALONG THESE TWO FEATURES WERE 
COMMON WITHIN THE AREA BOUNDED BY POINTS 23N 150W...27N 150W... 30N 
143W AND 30N 138W. 

REMNANT CLOUDS FROM THE TAIL END OF THE OLD FRONT CONTINUED AS 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS FROM 26N 152W TO 23 160W.  A MORE 
SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF MOSTLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
CONVERGENCE ZONE EAST OF THE STATE WAS SPREADING OUT TOWARD THE 
ISLANDS.  THESE LOW CLOUDS WERE COMMON WITHIN A TRIANGULAR REGION 
BOUNDED BY THE BIG ISLAND...24N 150W AND 15N 154W.  

SOME CLOUDS FROM THIS AREA IMMEDIATELY EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND WERE 
SLIDING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AND JUST SKIRTING THE WINDWARD OR EAST 
SIDES OF THE ISLAND CHAIN.  ALSO...A HANDFUL OF SMALL...SHORT-LIVED 
TYPE OF TOWERING CUMULUS AND/OR THUNDERSTORMS WERE NOTED WITHIN THIS 
CLOUD AREA FROM 21N 151W TO 19N 152.5W.  TOPS OF THESE UNSTABLE 
CLOUD FEATURES WERE BETWEEN 25000 AND 27000 FEET.  ELSEWHERE... 
CLOUD TOPS NEAR THE ISLANDS WERE GENERALLY IN THE 10000 TO 13000 
FEET RANGE. 

A WEAK UPPER LOW IN THE VICINITY OF 16N 150W WAS MOVING SLOWLY 
EAST.  THIS UPPER LOW WAS GENERATING A SWATH OF LAYERED CLOUDS 
INCLUDING CIRRUS GENERALLY BETWEEN 15N AND 20N FROM 140W TO 150W.   

ANOTHER LARGE FRONTAL SYSTEM NORTHWEST OF THE STATE WAS INCHING ITS 
WAY TOWARD US.  THE FRONT CURRENTLY EXTENDED THROUGH 30N 172W AND 
23N 180E.  THE ASSOCIATED CLOUD BAND WAS ABOUT 300 MILES WIDE.  
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS AHEAD OF THE FRONT IN THE AREA BETWEEN 162W AND 
170W...NORTH OF 23N...WERE FLOWING NORTHWARD IN TOWARDS THE 
APPROACHING FRONT.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.