Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:30:24 -0600

030 
ATHW40 PHFO 140530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE DEC 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 14 2010

THE MOST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC 
IS A RAGGED 300 TO 500 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 35N140W TO 30N155W TO 20N166W TO 14N180W. THIS 
BAND EXTENDS FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST...REACHING NORTHERN CALIFORNIA 
AND THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST SECTION OF THE MAINLAND. ISOLATED 
CUMULONIMBUS...CB...ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LEADING EDGE OF THE 
MAIN LAYERED CLOUD BAND...WITH THE CLOSEST CB ABOUT 300 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. BREAKAWAY SEGMENTS OF HIGH CLOUDS HAVE PUSHED 
SOUTHEAST OF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND...REACHING KAUAI AND SURROUNDING 
WATERS THIS EVENING. HOWEVER...THE MAIN CLOUD BAND APPEARS TO BE 
NEARLY STATIONARY.

SOUTHEAST OF THE CLOUD BAND...LOW LEVEL FLOW APPEARS TO BE GOVERNED 
BY A SURFACE RIDGE WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING ROUGHLY THROUGH 34N140W 
AND 26N155W. THIS PLACES THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AT THE WESTERN 
PERIPHERY OF THE RIDGE AND LIGHT SOUTHEAST TO NORTHWEST LOW CLOUD 
MOTION IS NOTED THERE.

LOW CLOUD COVER IS DECREASING ACROSS THE ISLANDS AS EVENING COOLING 
SETS IN. KAUAI...OAHU...LANAI AND THE BIG ISLAND ALL APPEAR TO HAVE 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS TO CLEAR SKIES. MOLOKAI HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ACROSS ITS CENTRAL THIRD WHICH ARE SLOUGHING OFF TO THE 
NORTH. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS PERSIST ACROSS WEST AND 
NORTHEAST-FACING HALEAKALA SLOPES ON MAUI...AS WELL AS ACROSS THE 
MAUI SADDLE AND THE MOUNTAINS OF WEST MAUI. CLOUD COVER ACROSS LOCAL 
WATERS IS GENERALLY SCATTERED TO CLEAR. 

ISOLATED CB ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
EAST OF 154W BETWEEN 06N AND 12N. ADDITIONAL ISOLATED CB ARE NOTED 
WEST OF 175W BETWEEN 08N AND 13N.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.