Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 06:25:15 -0600

135 
ATHW40 PHFO 141225
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE DEC 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 14 2010

THE MOST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC 
CONTINUES TO BE A RAGGED 300 TO 500 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 34N140W TO 28N160W TO 19N170W TO 
14N180W. THIS BAND EXTENDS FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST...REACHING 
CALIFORNIA AND THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST SECTION OF THE MAINLAND. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE MAIN LAYERED 
CLOUD BAND...WITH THE CLOSEST CB ABOUT 180 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. 
BREAKAWAY SEGMENTS OF HIGH CLOUDS PUSHED SOUTHEAST OF THE MAIN CLOUD 
BAND...REACHING KAUAI AND SURROUNDING WATERS EARLY LAST EVENING. 
HOWEVER...HIGH CLOUDS OVER AND AROUND KAUAI HAVE DISSIPATED OVER THE 
PAST FEW HOURS. THE MAIN CLOUD BAND APPEARS TO BE NEARLY STATIONARY.

SOUTHEAST OF THE CLOUD BAND...LOW LEVEL FLOW APPEARS TO BE GOVERNED 
BY A SURFACE RIDGE WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING ROUGHLY THROUGH 32N140W 
AND 23N160W. THIS PLACES THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AT THE WESTERN 
PERIPHERY OF THE RIDGE AND LIGHT EAST SOUTHEAST TO WEST NORTHWEST 
LOW CLOUD MOTION IS NOTED THERE.

LOW CLOUD COVER ACROSS THE ISLANDS REMAINS SPARSE THIS MORNING. 
SCATTERED CLOUDS OR CLEAR SKIES ARE NOTED EVERYWHERE OVER LAND. THE 
BIGGEST CHANGE OCCURRED OVER MAUI AND MOLOKAI...WHICH HAD BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS LAST EVENING. SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS PATCHY BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE BEGINNING TO MOVE ACROSS LOCAL WATERS EAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. CLOUD COVER ELSEWHERE ACROSS LOCAL WATERS IS GENERALLY 
SCATTERED TO CLEAR. 

ISOLATED CB ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
EAST OF 154W BETWEEN 06N AND 12N. ADDITIONAL ISOLATED CB ARE NOTED 
WEST OF 168W BETWEEN 08N AND 13N.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.