Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:31:59 -0600

467 
ATHW40 PHFO 150531
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED DEC 15 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 15 2010

THE WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS A LARGE UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CENTERED ACROSS 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING WHICH IS RESULTING IN 
SUBSIDENCE OCCURING OVER THE STATE. WEST OF THE RIDGE IS AN UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH WITH A CENTER AXIS FROM 40N173E TO 20N179E. THIS UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF MULTILAYERED CLOUDS 400 TO 
600 MILES WIDE ALONG AN AXIS FROM 33N176E TO 32N172W TO 24N170W TO 
10N176E. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 45 KFT ARE 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THE CLOUD BAND AND ARE FOUND MAINLY SOUTH OF 25N. AN 
AREA OF TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS EXTENDS OFF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND AT 
THE BASE OF THE UPPER TROUGH WITHIN A 200 MILE RADIUS OF 27N178E. 
SEVERAL LIGHTNING STRIKES HAVE BEEN PICKED UP BY DETECTION WITHIN 
THESE CLOUDS.

AT THE SURFACE...A FRONT IS BURIED BENEATH THE UPPER LEVEL CLOUD 
FEATURES. A WEAK SURFACE LOW IS CENTERED NEAR 28N173W AS ESTIMATED 
BY INFRARED SATELLITE. THE FRONT EXTENDS FROM THE LOW TO 22N174W TO 
17N176E. THE ONLY PART OF THE FRONT THAT IS DISCERNIBLE ON INFRARED 
IMAGERY IS SOUTH OF 21N WHERE THE FRONT LAGS BEHIND THE DENSE 
LAYERED CLOUD BAND.

A BROAD LINE OF LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A 150 MPH JET STREAK 
ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. THE JET HAS AN AXIS FROM 32N159W ALL THE WAY 
OVER THE WESTERN CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES. UNDERNEATH THE 
JET...SHORTWAVE ENERGY AT THE MIDLEVELS AS WELL AS A WEAK SURFACE 
LOW ARE PROVIDING CLOUDS BENEATH THE JET. WHILE MOST OF THIS DENSE 
CLOUD COVER IS LOCATED JUST TO THE NORTH OF 30N...SOME OF THE CLOUDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM ARE SKIRTING AS FAR SOUTH AS 27N IN THE 
CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING...SCATTERED CUMULUS 
CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF THE WINDWARD COASTAL WATERS. THE BOW CLOUD 
OFFSHORE OF WINDWARD BIG ISLAND IS INDICATIVE OF THE TRADE WINDS 
BUILDING BACK IN ACROSS THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE STATE. THE CUMULUS 
CLOUDS ARE TRAVELING TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH. OVER 
LAND...AREA OF BROKEN CLOUD BUILD UPS ARE EVIDENT ON THE LAST 
VISIBLE IMAGERY TODAY...MOSTLY CONCENTRATED OVER MOUNTAIN AREAS. ON 
KAUAI...LOW CUMULUS CLOUD BUILD UPS ARE SEEN ACROSS LEEWARD SIDE OF 
THE ISLAND...WHILE THE WINDWARD SIDE IS MOSTLY CLEAR. THE KOOLAUS ON 
OAHU HAVE BROKEN CLOUDS OVER THEM AND THE REST OF THE ISLAND IS 
PARTLY CLOUDY. MOLOKAI IS MOSTLY CLEAR WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOME 
CLOUD BUILDUPS ACROSS THE FAR EASTERN SIDE. LANAI HAS BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER MOST OF THE INTERIOR OF THE ISLAND. MAUI HAS 
BROKEN CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD WEST MAUI AND A FEW ACROSS THE WESTERN 
SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. THE REST OF THE ISLAND OF MAUI IS MOSTLY CLEAR 
THIS EVENING. ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER 
MOST OF THE SLOPES FROM APUA POINT TO SOUTH POINT TO KAILUA TO UPOLU 
POINT UP TO 8 KFT IN ELEVATION. SCATTERED CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE 
SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS. A FEW CIRRUS CLOUD BANDS ARE 
TRAVELING OVER THE WESTERN MAIN ISLANDS THIS EVENING WHICH ARE 
COMING FROM THE EARLIER MENTIONED DENSE LAYERED CLOUD BAND.

FAR SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SCATTERED ITCZ CONVECTION IS 
FIRING MAINLY EAST OF 160W AND BETWEEN 05N AND 10N. CLOUD TOPS 
EXTEND TO AROUND 46 KFT IN THE VERTICAL.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.