Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 06:36:16 -0600

109 
ATHW40 PHFO 151236
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED DEC 15 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 15 2010

THE WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS A LARGE UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CENTERED ACROSS 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS EARLY THIS MORNING WHICH IS RESULTING IN 
SUBSIDENCE OCCURING OVER THE STATE. WEST OF THE RIDGE IS AN UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH WITH A CENTER AXIS FROM 40N174E TO 21N179W. THIS UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH IS PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF MULTILAYERED CLOUDS 400 TO 
500 MILES WIDE ALONG AN AXIS FROM 30N180 TO 36N175W TO 32N168W TO 
21N174W TO 13M175E. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 50 KFT 
ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE CLOUD BAND. WHILE MOST OF THIS THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY IS SOUTH OF 24N...A FEW POPPING TOWERING CUMULUS /TCU/ 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED ON THE COLD SIDE OF THE SURFACE LOW WHICH IS 
CENTERED AT 29N177W. THE TCU CLOUDS ARE CONTAINED WITHIN A 150 MILE 
RADIUS OF THE SURFACE LOW.

A COLD FRONT IS BURIED BENEATH THE UPPER LEVEL CLOUD FEATURES 
EXTENDING SOUTHWEST FROM THE SURFACE LOW CENTER TO 24N180 TO 
21N173E. A FEW LOW CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THE BOUNDARY AS IT 
LAGS BEHIND THE DENSE LAYERED CLOUD BAND. A STATIONARY FRONT ALSO 
EXTENDS EAST FROM THE LOW TO 31N147W.

A BROAD LINE OF LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A 150 MPH JET STREAK 
ORIENTED WEST TO EAST. THE JET HAS AN AXIS FROM 30N145W ALL THE WAY 
OVER THE WESTERN CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES. UNDERNEATH THE 
JET...SHORTWAVE ENERGY AT THE MIDLEVELS AS WELL AS THE STATIONARY 
FRONT LOW ARE PROVIDING CLOUDS BENEATH THE JET. MOST OF THIS DENSE 
CLOUD COVER IS LOCATED TO THE NORTH OF 29N.

SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF THE WINDWARD 
COASTAL WATERS OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING. THE 
CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE TRAVELING TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH. PLUME 
CLOUDS ARE OBSERVED ON INFRARED SATELLITE ACROSS LEEWARD WATERS OF 
THE ISLANDS. A FEW CLOUDS ARE REPORTED OVER LAND ACCORDING TO 
OBSERVATIONS AND INFRARED SATELLITE SUPPORTS THIS.

FAR SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SCATTERED ITCZ CONVECTION IS 
FIRING MAINLY EAST OF 150W AND BETWEEN 06N AND 10N. CLOUD TOPS 
EXTEND TO AROUND 45 KFT IN THE VERTICAL.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.