Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:50:57 -0600

999
ATHW40 PHFO 160050
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU DEC 16 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 16 2010

AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OVER THE ISLANDS IS EVIDENT ON WATER VAPOR 
IMAGERY...WITH A NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST ORIENTED UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
SOUTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. THE TROUGH AXIS IS ABOUT 440 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND AT 2 PM. AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS NEAR 
33.7N 175.7W...ABOUT 1260 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI THIS AFTERNOON. A 
SECOND UPPER LOW THAT HAD BEEN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DATELINE HAS 
BEEN ABSORBED INTO THIS UPPER LOW.

A COLD FRONT AND ITS ASSOCIATED LAYERED CLOUDS LIES BETWEEN THE 
UPPER LEVEL LOW AND THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AT 2 PM. THE LEADING EDGE 
OF THE LOW CLOUDS IS ABOUT 425 MILES TO THE NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI...WITH SOME THIN HIGH CLOUDS PASSING OVER KAUAI AND OAHU EARLY 
THIS AFTERNOON. ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE NOTED IN THIS 
LAYERED CLOUDS BANDS...WITH THUNDERSTORM TOPS REACHING NEAR 50 
THOUSAND FEET.

SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER KAUAI THIS AFTERNOON...AND JUST A 
FEW OVER NIIHAU. JUST A FEW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE WATERS 
SURROUNDING THESE ISLANDS. ON OAHU...CLOUDS ARE CONFINED TO THE 
RIDGES OF THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE RANGES...WHILE ON MOLOKAI...THE 
CLOUDS ARE OVER THE HALAWA VALLEY. A FEW CLOUDS HAVE FORMED OVER THE 
INTERIOR OF LANAI SINCE DAYBREAK...WHILE CLOUDS HAVE DISSIPATED OVER 
KAHOOLAWE. CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED OVER THE SLOPES OF THE WEST MAUI 
MOUNTAINS AND HALEAKALA IN THE LAST SIX HOURS. SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE 
FOUND OVER THE NORTH HILO...SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS. CLOUDS 
COVER MOST OF THE REMAINING DISTRICTS.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.