Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:41:03 -0600

003 
ATHW40 PHFO 170040
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI DEC 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 17 2010

THE UPPER LEVEL LOW SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND HAS LIFTED TO THE NORTH 
A BIT OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS. AT 2 PM...THE UPPER LOW WAS 
NEAR 13.9N 153.4W...ABOUT 380 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE 
OTHER UPPER LEVEL LOW IS ABOUT 125 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI NEAR 
33.6N 175.7W. THE LEADING EDGE OF THE LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE SURFACE COLD FRONT IS ABOUT 335 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI THIS 
AFTERNOON. THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEEN NOTED WITHIN THE LAYERED CLOUD 
BAND...CONCENTRATED IN THE PORTION OF THE LAYERED CLOUDS CENTERED ON 
A LINE FROM 24N 129W TO 10N 177W. CLOUD TOPS IN THIS ARE REACH AS 
HIGH AS 54 THOUSAND FEET.

FEW LOW CLOUDS REMAIN NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON. 
THE MOST CONCENTRATED LOW CLOUDS ARE EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE FEW 
LOW CLOUDS EAST OF KAUAI ARE MOVING FROM THE SOUTHEAST AROUND 15 
MPH. THE CLOUDS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE MOVING IN A MORE EASTERLY 
DIRECTION AROUND 15 MPH.

LOW CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED OVER ALL THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SINCE 
DAYBREAK...BUT OVERALL CLOUD COVERAGE IS STILL LESS THAN IT WAS 24 
HOURS AGO. SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER KAUAI...WITH A FEW CLOUDS 
OVER NIIHAU. SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND ACROSS OAHU. A FEW CLOUDS 
HAVE FORMED OVER MOLOKAI...LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE...WHICH ALL WERE 
CLOUD FREE SHORTLY AFTER SUNRISE. ON MAUI...THE CLOUDS OVER THE WEST 
MAUI MOUNTAINS HAVE THINNED...WHILE THE LOW CLOUDS IN THE HANA AREA 
HAVE SHIFTED TO COVER THE AREA FROM HAMOA TO ABOUT 6 MILES WEST OF 
NUU ON THE SOUTHEAST FACING SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...THE FEW CLOUDS OVER THE SOUTH HILO DISTRICT HAVE 
EXPANDED TO COVER MOST OF THE DISTRICT...AND SPILL OVER INTO THE 
COASTAL AREA OF THE NORTH HILO DISTRICT. SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND 
OVER THE PUNA DISTRICT...PRIMARILY OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE 
DISTRICT. CLOUDS COVER MOST OF THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE KAU SOUTHEAST 
FACING SLOPES...EXTENDING UP THE SLOPES TO AROUND SIX THOUSAND FEET. 
CLOUDS ARE INCREASING OVER THE SOUTH KONA AND NORTH KONA 
DISTRICTS...WITH A FEW CLOUDS OVER THE REMAINING LOWER SLOPES.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.