Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:35:30 -0600

541 
ATHW40 PHFO 171835
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI DEC 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 17 2010

A BROAD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 1200 MILES WEST OF KAUAI 
IS THE MOST PREDOMINATE WEATHER FEATURE SEEN IN SATELLITE IMAGERY. A 
BROAD SWATH OF LAYRED CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED POCKETS OF DEEP 
CONVECTION IS SEEN ON THE EAST SIDE OF THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM. 
SOME HIGH CIRRUS CLOUDS ON THE FAR EAST SIDE OF THIS SWATH OF CLOUDS 
IS OCCASIONALLY MOVING OVER PORTIONS OF THE STATE ESPECIALLY IN THE 
VICINITY OF KAUAI. THIS BROAD SWATH OF CLOUDS THEN STREAMS OFF 
TOWARD THE EAST EVENTUALLY REACHING THE COAST OF CALIFORNIA. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY ALSO SHOWS AN UPPER LOW SPINNING A FEW HUNDRED 
MILES TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE 
SEEN PULSING NEAR THE CENTER OF THE UPPER LOW AS WELL AS ALONG THE 
ITCZ ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE UPPER LOW. THIS UPPER LOW APPEARS TO 
BE DRIFTING SLOWLY OFF TO THE EAST.

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS THIS MORNING WAS RATHER SPARSE. 
JUST A FEW PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER THE KOOLAU 
SUMMITS...THE SOUTHEAST SLOPES OF HALEAKALA...AND OVER PORTIONS OF 
THE PUNA DISTRICT ON THE BIG ISLAND. TO THE EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
LIES A BROAD FIELD OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS THAT ARE MOVING 
OFF SLOWLY TOWARD THE WEST. 

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.