Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:30:23 -0600

813 
ATHW40 PHFO 180030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT DEC 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 18 2010

A BROAD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 1200 MILES WEST OF KAUAI 
IS THE MOST PREDOMINATE WEATHER FEATURE SEEN IN SATELLITE IMAGERY. A 
BROAD SWATH OF LAYRED CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED POCKETS OF DEEP 
CONVECTION IS SEEN ON THE EAST SIDE OF THIS LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM. 
SOME HIGH CIRRUS CLOUDS ON THE FAR EAST SIDE OF THIS SWATH OF CLOUDS 
ARE OCCASIONALLY MOVING OVER PORTIONS OF THE STATE. THIS BROAD SWATH 
OF CLOUDS THEN STREAMS OFF TOWARD THE EAST EVENTUALLY REACHING THE 
COAST OF CALIFORNIA. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY ALSO SHOWS AN UPPER LOW SPINNING A FEW HUNDRED 
MILES TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE 
SEEN PULSING NEAR THE CENTER OF THE UPPER LOW AS WELL AS ALONG THE 
ITCZ ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE UPPER LOW. THIS UPPER LOW APPEARS TO 
BE DRIFTING SLOWLY OFF TO THE EAST.

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS HAS INCREASED A BIT SINCE THIS 
MORNING. OVER KAUAI PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN MAINLY OVER 
INTERIOR SECTIONS. OVER OAHU LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER THE SLOPES AND 
SUMMITS OF BOTH THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE MOUNTAIN RANGES WITH A FEW 
CLOUDS OVER INTERIOR SECTIONS. JUST A FEW PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE 
SEEN OVER EASTERN MOLOKAI AS WELL AS OVER INTERIOR LANAI. OVER MAUI 
LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER PORTIONS OF THE HALEAKALA SLOPES WITH 
A FEW PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER THE 
BIG ISLAND PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN MAINLY OVER PORTIONS OF 
THE KONA AND SOUTHEAST KAU SLOPES WITH JUST A FEW PATCHES OF LOW 
CLOUDS OVER THE HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.