Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 01:16:11 -0600

574 
ATHW40 PHFO 190715 RRA
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE...DELAYED
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0715 UTC SUN DEC 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 19 2010

ACCORDING TO LOOPS OF WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND SATELLITE DERIVED 
UPPER LEVEL WINDS...AN UPPER TROPOSPHERIC LOW WAS CENTERED JUST EAST 
OF THE DATE LINE NEAR 21N 179.5W. THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN NEARLY 
STATIONARY DURING THE PAST 6 HOURS. EAST OF THIS UPPER LEVEL 
LOW...THE CORE OF A SUBTROPICAL JET EXTENDED FROM NEAR 15N 176W TO 
22N 170.5W TO 30N 164W. A BROAD AREA OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH 
RAIN AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DIFFLUENCE ALOFT 
DUE TO THIS JET WAS ABOUT 750 MILES EAST OF A LINE FROM 14N 174.5W 
TO 21N 171.5W TO 28N 170W. THE HIGHEST TOPS OF THE CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS WITHIN THIS AREA WERE ESTIMATED TO BE ABOUT 50 THOUSAND FEET.

AS OF 900 PM HST SATURDAY...THE EASTERN EDGE OF THESE LAYERED CLOUDS 
AND PRECIPITATION WERE OVER THE EXTREME WESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
EARLY THIS EVENING. RADAR REFLECTIVITY DATA INDICATED NUMEROUS 
SHOWERS...SOME WITH LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WERE OVER NIIHAU AND 
ALONG THE SOUTHWESTERN SHORELINE OF KAUAI. THESE SHOWERS...WERE 
SPREADING NORTHWARD AT ALMOST 20 MPH. ANOTHER AREA OF PRECIPITATION 
WAS LOCATED OVER THE SOUTHERN END OF THE KAUAI CHANNEL. THERE WERE 
MAINLY ISOLATED SHOWERS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS SOUTH OF OAHU. 
BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS WERE OBSCURING THE LOW CLOUDS OVER THE REST OF 
THE STATE IN INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY.

ELSEWHERE...A GALE LOW WAS LOCATED JUST WEST OF THE INTERNATIONAL 
DATELINE NEAR 21.5N 179.5E...OR ABOUT 500 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF 
MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS SYSTEM IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH AT LESS 10 
MPH...AND CONTINUES TO EXHIBIT TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS AS IT MOVES 
OVER WARMER WATERS. THIS SYSTEM IS MAINTAINING A WELL DEFINED AND 
PERSISTENT AREA OF THUNDERSTORMS NEAR ITS CENTER. THE HIGHEST TOPS 
OF THE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITHIN THIS AREA WERE ESTIMATED TO BE 
ABOUT 39 THOUSAND FEET. FORECAST MODELS INDICATE THIS SYSTEM WILL 
TURN BACK TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST OR EAST LATER TONIGHT AND SUNDAY 
MORNING...WHICH WILL LIKELY BRING IT BACK INTO THE CENTRAL PACIFIC 
HURRICANE CENTER AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY BY LATE SUNDAY. FOR 
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS GALE LOW...SEE THE HIGH SEAS FORECAST 
ISSUED FOR THE NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 
FORECAST OFFICE IN HONOLULU...HAWAII UNDER AWIPS HEADER HSFNP...OR 
WMO HEADER FZPN40 PHFO.

$$

HOUSTON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.