Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 06:26:34 -0600

237 
ATHW40 PHFO 191226
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN DEC 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 19 2010

ACCORDING TO LOOPS OF WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND SATELLITE DERIVED 
UPPER LEVEL WINDS...AN UPPER TROPOSPHERIC LOW WAS CENTERED JUST EAST 
OF THE INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE NEAR 25N 176.5W. THIS FEATURE HAS 
BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY DURING THE PAST 6 HOURS. EAST OF THIS UPPER 
LEVEL LOW...THE CORE OF A SUBTROPICAL JET EXTENDED FROM NEAR 14N 
177W TO 23N 169W TO 27.5N 167.5W. A BROAD AREA OF OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH RAIN AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
DIFFLUENCE ALOFT DUE TO THIS JET WAS ABOUT 700 MILES EAST OF A LINE 
FROM 13.5N 176.5W TO 21N 170.5W TO 27N 169.5W. THE HIGHEST TOPS OF 
THE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITHIN THIS AREA WERE ESTIMATED TO BE ABOUT 
51 THOUSAND FEET.

AS OF 1200 AM HST SUNDAY...THE EASTERN EDGE OF THESE LAYERED CLOUDS 
AND PRECIPITATION WERE OVER THE WESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS WERE OBSCURING ANY LOW CLOUDS THAT WERE OVER 
THE REST OF THE STATE IN INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. RADAR 
REFLECTIVITY DATA INDICATED NUMEROUS SHOWERS...SOME WITH LOCALLY 
HEAVY RAINFALL...WERE OVER OAHU. ADDITIONAL ISOLATED HEAVY SHOWERS 
WERE IN THE VICINITY OF KAUAI AND NIIHAU. THE INDIVIDUAL SHOWERS 
APPEARED TO BE MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH AT NEARLY 20 MPH. THERE WERE 
MAINLY ISOLATED SHOWERS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST 
OF MOLOKAI AND LANAI...WHILE SCATTERED SHOWERS WERE ALONG THE 
SOUTHERN SHORES OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

ELSEWHERE...A GALE LOW WAS LOCATED JUST WEST OF THE INTERNATIONAL 
DATELINE NEAR 21.3N 179.3E...OR ABOUT 525 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF 
MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS SYSTEM IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH AT LESS 10 
MPH...AND CONTINUES TO EXHIBIT TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS AS IT MOVES 
OVER WARMER WATERS. THIS SYSTEM IS MAINTAINING A PERSISTENT RING OF 
THUNDERSTORMS SURROUNDING ITS WELL DEFINED CENTER. FORECAST MODELS 
INDICATE THIS SYSTEM WILL TURN BACK TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST OR EAST 
TODAY...WHICH WILL LIKELY BRING IT BACK INTO THE CENTRAL PACIFIC 
HURRICANE CENTER AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT. FOR 
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS GALE LOW...SEE THE HIGH SEAS FORECAST 
ISSUED FOR THE NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 
FORECAST OFFICE IN HONOLULU...HAWAII UNDER AWIPS HEADER HSFNP...OR 
WMO HEADER FZPN40 PHFO.

$$

HOUSTON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.