Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:59:34 -0600

483 
ATHW40 PHFO 191858 RRA
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE...DELAYED
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN DEC 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 19 2010

THE MOST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC IS A 
WEDGE-SHAPED AREA OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH EMBEDDED 
CUMULONIMBUS...CB...NORTH OF A LINE FROM 25N140W TO 22N156W TO 
14N163W TO 08N180W. THE WESTERN EDGE OF THIS CLOUD AREA LIES ALONG A 
LINE FROM 28N168W TO 20N172W TO 10N180W. A 180 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDS WEST FROM THE MAIN CLOUD 
AREA...MAINLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM 28N168W TO 20N180W...WRAPPING 
CYCLONICALLY TOWARD A LOW JUST WEST OF THE DATELINE. 

COLD CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS...LIKELY CB...LIE ALONG THE EASTERN EDGE 
OF THE MAIN CLOUD AREA SOUTH OF 20N. THE BULK OF THIS CB LIE WITHIN 
A 60 TO 90 MILE WIDE BAND FROM 20N159W TO 15N163W TO 12N174W TO 
09N180W. ISOLATED CB LIE FARTHER TO THE NORTH AND EAST...AFFECTING 
THE WESTERN HALF OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE CB ARE MOVING 
TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT ABOUT 15 MPH.

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE LIES JUST SOUTHEAST OF 
THE OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUD AREA...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING ROUGHLY 
THROUGH 22N140W AND 16N160W. MODERATE TRADE FLOW IS NOTED SOUTH OF 
THE RIDGE WITHIN SCATTERED TO PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVER ALL OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLAND CHAIN...BLOCKING THE VIEW OF LOW CLOUDS THERE.

ELSEWHERE...A GALE LOW WAS LOCATED JUST WEST OF THE INTERNATIONAL 
DATELINE NEAR 20.5N 179.2E...OR ABOUT 610 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF 
MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS SYSTEM IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH AT LESS THAN 10 
MPH...AND CONTINUES TO EXHIBIT TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS AS IT MOVES 
OVER WARMER WATERS. THIS SYSTEM IS MAINTAINING A PERSISTENT RING OF 
THUNDERSTORMS SURROUNDING ITS WELL DEFINED CENTER. FORECAST MODELS 
INDICATE THIS SYSTEM WILL TURN BACK TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST OR EAST 
TODAY...WHICH WILL LIKELY BRING IT BACK INTO THE CENTRAL PACIFIC 
HURRICANE CENTER AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT. FOR 
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS GALE LOW...SEE THE HIGH SEAS FORECAST 
ISSUED FOR THE NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 
FORECAST OFFICE IN HONOLULU...HAWAII UNDER AWIPS HEADER HSFNP...OR 
WMO HEADER FZPN40 PHFO.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.