Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:47:30 -0600

766 
ATHW40 PHFO 200046
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON DEC 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 20 2010

THE MOST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC 
REMAINS A WEDGE-SHAPED AREA OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH 
EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...NORTH OF A LINE FROM 25N140W TO 21N155W 
TO 13N161W TO 08N180W. THE WESTERN EDGE OF THIS CLOUD AREA LIES 
ALONG A LINE FROM 24N171W TO 18N173W TO 11N180W. A 180 MILE WIDE 
BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDS WEST FROM THE MAIN 
CLOUD AREA...MAINLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM 24N171W TO 
18N180W...WRAPPING CYCLONICALLY TOWARD A LOW JUST WEST OF THE 
DATELINE. 

COLD CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS...LIKELY CB...LIE ALONG THE EASTERN EDGE 
OF THE MAIN CLOUD AREA SOUTH OF 20N. THE BULK OF THESE CB LIE WITHIN 
A RAGGED 60 TO 90 MILE WIDE BAND FROM 20N158W TO 15N161W TO 12N173W 
TO 09N180W. THESE CB ARE MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT ABOUT 15 MPH.

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE LIES JUST SOUTHEAST OF 
THE OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUD AREA...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING ROUGHLY 
THROUGH 22N140W AND 16N160W. MODERATE TRADE FLOW IS NOTED SOUTH OF 
THE RIDGE WITHIN SCATTERED TO PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVER ALL OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLAND CHAIN...BLOCKING THE VIEW OF LOW CLOUDS THERE.

ELSEWHERE...A GALE LOW WAS LOCATED JUST WEST OF THE INTERNATIONAL 
DATELINE NEAR 20.2N 179.9E...OR ABOUT 630 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF 
MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS SYSTEM IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 
ABOUT 10 MPH...AND CONTINUES TO EXHIBIT TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS AS 
IT MOVES OVER WARM WATERS. THIS SYSTEM WILL RETURN INTO THE CENTRAL 
PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY BY THIS EVENING. FOR 
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS GALE LOW...SEE THE HIGH SEAS FORECAST 
ISSUED FOR THE NORTH PACIFIC OCEAN BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 
FORECAST OFFICE IN HONOLULU...HAWAII UNDER AWIPS HEADER HSFNP...OR 
WMO HEADER FZPN40 PHFO.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.