Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 23:31:35 -0600

414 
ATHW40 PHFO 200530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON DEC 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 20 2010

THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS REMAINED UNDER A SHROUD OF MULTI-LAYERED 
CLOUDS THIS SUNDAY EVENING.  THESE CLOUDS THAT WERE COVERING THE 
ISLANDS WERE PART OF A LARGE SWATH OF SIMILAR CLOUDS THAT COVERED 
MUCH OF THE REGION FROM THE ISLANDS WEST TOWARD THE INTERNATIONAL 
DATELINE.  THE BULK OF THE CLOUD MASS WAS WITHIN A TRIANGULAR SHAPED 
REGION. THE SOUTH EDGE OF THIS REGION RAN FROM 08N 180E TO 25N 
140W.  THE WEST EDGE EXTENDED FROM 11N 180E TO 22N 170W TO 26N 180E 
TO 30N 180E.  THE NORTH EDGE WAS ROUGHLY ALONG 30N LATITUDE FROM THE 
DATELINE THROUGH 140W LONGITUDE.  

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 26N 175W 
WAS MOVING SLOWLY NORTHEAST AND SHOWING SOME SLIGHT SIGNS OF 
WEAKENING.  HIDDEN BENEATH THE MASS OF CLOUDS WAS A LOW LEVEL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE ALONG WHICH MUCH OF THE UNSTABLE...WET WEATHER WAS 
OCCURRING.  

THE LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ZONE EXTENDED ROUGHLY FROM 09N 180E TO 15N 
170W TO 20N 167W TO 28N 168W.  ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE FORMING 
ALONG THIS CONVERGENCE ZONE MAINLY FROM 09N TO 22N LATITUDES.  THE 
COLDEST CLOUD TOPS NEAR THE THUNDERSTORMS WERE -71 DEGREES CELSIUS 
WHICH RELATED TO HEIGHTS OF NEARLY 45000 FEET. 

ANOTHER WEAKER AREA OF LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE...AS EVIDENCE BY THE 
FLOW OF LOW CLOUDS ON EARLIER VISIBLE IMAGERY...WAS ROUGHLY FROM 
17N 158W TO NEAR 24N 157W.  THIS CONVERGENCE ZONE RAN NORTH TO 
SOUTH ACROSS THE STATE.  AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM OR TWO WAS NOTED 
SOUTH OF THE STATE.  ONE STORM ABOUT 55 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF 
MAUI AT 7 PM.  THE STORMS IN THE AREA WERE DRIFTING TOWARD 
EAST-NORTHEAST WHILE LOWER CLOUDS AND SHOWERS WERE MOVING TOWARD THE 
NORTH. 

A WEAK FRONT EXTENDED THROUGH 25N 140W TO 25N 150W TO NEAR 26N 
160W.  THE FRONT WAS DRIFTING SLOWLY SOUTHWARD.  THE ASSOCIATED 
CLOUD BAND NORTH OF THE FRONT WAS JUST OVER 300 MILES WIDE.  
 
A WEAK OUT OF SEASON TROPICAL STORM DEVELOPED NEAR THE DATELINE 
AROUND 20N RECENTLY.  CURRENTLY THE STORM WAS NEAR 20N 179W AND 
MOVING EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR 15 MILES AN HOUR. 

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.