Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 06:31:16 -0600

890 
ATHW40 PHFO 201230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC MON DEC 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 20 2010

A LARGE MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 27N 173W WAS MOVING NORTHEAST 
AT OR JUST UNDER 20 MILES AN HOUR.  ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE 
FORMING WITHIN ABOUT 100 MILES OF A LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ZONE ON 
THE EAST AND SOUTHEAST PERIPHERY OF THE UPPER LOW.  THIS CONVERGENCE 
ZONE EXTENDED ROUGHLY FROM 09N 180E TO 13N 170W TO 20N 166W TO 26N 
167W TO 30N 171W.  THE THUNDERSTORMS WERE MORE NUMEROUS WEST OF 170W 
AND NORTH OF 25N...AND SPARSE IN THE AREA IN BETWEEN.  THE HIGHEST 
CLOUD TOPS NEAR THE THUNDERSTORMS WERE AROUND 45000 FEET. 

A HANDFUL OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE ALSO SEEN ABOUT 80 MILES 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND BETWEEN 60 AND 475 MILES SOUTHWEST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND.   THE THUNDERSTORMS SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND WERE 
MOVING SLOWLY EAST.  ALL THE OTHER THUNDERSTORMS IN THE REGION WERE 
NEARLY STATIONARY AND CONTINUALLY REFORMING IN THE SAME AREA. 

THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS REMAINED UNDER A VEIL OF MOSTLY HIGH CIRRUS 
CLOUDS.  BUT THERE WERE A GOOD AMOUNT OF LOW AND MID LEVEL CLOUDS IN 
THE AREA AS WELL.  MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDINESS COVERED MUCH OF THE 
REGION BOUNDED BY POINTS 09N 180E...20N 168W...31N 172W...30N 
140W...AND 23N 140W.   

A WEAK FRONT EXTENDED THROUGH 24N 140W TO 24N 150W BEFORE BECOMING 
OBSCURED BENEATH THE THICKER CLOUDS FURTHER WEST.  THE SOUTH EDGE 
OF THE ROUGHLY 400 MILES WIDE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDED ALONG THE 
FRONT AND CONTINUED THROUGH 27N 130W TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.   
 
MEANWHILE...A LATE...OUT OF SEASON TROPICAL STORM NEAR 21N 177W WAS 
MOVING NORTHEAST NEAR 20 MILES AN HOUR AT 2 AM. 

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.