Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:31:24 -0600

155 
ATHW40 PHFO 210531
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE DEC 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 21 2010

A WEAKENING TROPICAL STORM OMEKA WAS NEAR 25N 174W AT 630 PM THIS 
EVENING.  THE SPUTTERING TROPICAL CYCLONE WAS MOVING NORTHEAST NEAR 
20 MILES AN HOUR. 

WHILE ONLY A HANDFUL OF THUNDERSTORMS REMAINED NEAR THE CENTER OF 
OMEKA...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUED TO ERUPT EAST OF THE 
DECAYING TROPICAL SYSTEM.  THESE THUNDERSTORMS WERE COMMON FROM 19N 
TO 25N BETWEEN 165W AND 170W.  AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WAS LINGERING 
OVER THAT AREA EXTENDED FROM 25N 167W THROUGH 30N178W.  THE TROUGH 
WAS MOVING DRIFTING EAST BUT WEAKENING A BIT WHILE STILL SPAWNING 
THESE THUNDERSTORMS. 

MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDINESS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS REMAINED OVER 
AND AROUND THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.  THE AREA OF CLOUDINESS RESEMBLED A 
FISH TAIL WITH THE BODY OF THE LARGE FISH LYING ACROSS SOUTHERN 
CALIFORNIA.  THE FISH TAIL SHAPED AREA WAS GENERALLY BOUNDED BY 
POINTS 18N 150W...14N 164W...20N 157W...30N 167W AND 23N 150W.  

THE PART OF THE CLOUD BAND ATTACHED TO THE TAIL WAS ACTUALLY A 
FRONTAL CLOUD BAND.  THE FRONT EXTENDED THROUGH 25N 130W TO 20N 145W 
TO 21N 155W.  THAT PART OF THE CLOUD BAND WEST OF 135W WAS SINKING 
SLOWLY SOUTHWARD.  THE CLOUD BAND FURTHER EAST WAS NEARLY 
STATIONARY.  THAT FISH TAIL REGION OF CLOUDINESS OVER THE STATE 
APPEARED TO BE DRIFTING SLOWLY EAST.  

MOST OF THE CLOUDINESS FROM THE FISH TAIL AREA WAS AFFECTING THE BIG 
ISLAND AND MAUI COUNTY.  THE CLOUDS WERE TRYING TO CLEAR KAUAI AND 
OAHU...BUT MORE CLOUDS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE CONTINUALLY 
REFORMING OVER THAT AREA TO REPLACE ANY CLOUDS THAT VACATED THOSE 
TWO ISLANDS.  

AT 7 PM...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE POPPING UP AROUND KAUAI WITH 
ONE IN THE KAUAI CHANNEL.  ANOTHER STORM WAS SEEN JUST NORTHEAST OF 
MAUI.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.