Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 06:33:25 -0600

629 
ATHW40 PHFO 211233
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE DEC 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 21 2010

UNSTABLE WEATHER CONTINUED TO SURROUND THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS EARLY 
THIS TUESDAY MORNING.  ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE CONTINUALLY 
FORMING IN THE AREA GENERALLY FROM 17N TO 28N BETWEEN 142W AND 
172W.  DIVERGING WINDS IN THE UPPER LEVELS OF THE ATMOSPHERE AND 
CONVERGING WINDS NEAR THE SURFACE WERE PROVIDING THE INSTABILITY 
NEEDED FOR THE UNSTABLE WEATHER.  AND THE ABUNDANCE OF MOISTURE 
PRESENT IN THE AIR IN THIS REGION WAS ALSO A KEY FACTOR. 

A FRONTAL BOUNDARY EXTENDING FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PASSED THROUGH 
20N 140W TO 20N150W TO JUST NORTHEAST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN.  THE 
ASSOCIATED CLOUD BAND ALONG THE FRONT WAS ABOUT 180 MILES WIDE AND 
CONSISTED BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS.  THE FRONT CONTINUED TO 
DRIFT SLOWLY SOUTHWARD. 

A THICK BUT FAIRLY NARROW STREAM OF OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS EXTENDED 
FROM 13N 166W NORTHEASTWARD TO THE BIG ISLAND.  A CLEAR AREA SAT 
BETWEEN THIS STREAM OF CIRRUS...THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AND A CLUSTER 
OF THUNDERSTORMS IMMEDIATELY WEST OF A LINE FROM 21N 163W TO 17N 
166W. 

OFF IN THE DISTANCE...A WEAKENING TROPICAL STORM OMEKA WAS NEAR 27N 
173.5W AT 2 AM. THIS OUT OF SEASON TROPICAL CYCLONE MOVING 
NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD. 

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.