Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:37:46 -0600

657 
ATHW40 PHFO 211837
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE DEC 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 21 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OVER THE CENTRAL 
PACIFIC. AN EMBEDDED SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 24N169W...OR 
ABOUT 600 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO 
THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. A SECOND TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 
20N155W...EXTENDING ACROSS THE BIG ISLAND. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO 
THE EAST AT 15 MPH. 

AREAS OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF THE CENTRAL PACIFIC. 
NORTH OF 24N...THESE CLOUDS ARE LOCATED GENERALLY BETWEEN 162W AND 
172W. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THESE LAYERED 
CLOUDS...GENERALLY NORTH OF 28N. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 38000 FT. 
ADDITIONAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED WITHIN 200 MILES EITHER 
SIDE OF A LINE FROM 12N178W TO 21N162W TO 19N151W. THE HIGHEST CLOUD 
TOPS EXTEND UP TO 48000 FT...AND ARE LOCATED GENERALLY EAST OF 170W. 
WEST OF 170W...CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 40000 FT. INDIVIDUAL 
CONVECTIVE UPDRAFTS ARE SHORT LIVED...BUT ADDITIONAL CONVECTIVE 
CLOUDS CONTINUE TO DEVELOP THROUGH THE SAME AREA. THESE CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN A LARGER AREA OF LAYERED MIDDLE AND HIGH 
LEVEL CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE TWO UPPER TROUGHS. THERE IS A BREAK 
IN THE CLOUDS BETWEEN THE TWO FEATURES...WITH A RELATIVELY CLOUD 
FREE AREA LOCATED ROUGHLY WITHIN 200 MILES OF 18N160W. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE STILL 
LOCATED OFFSHORE OVER THE COASTAL WATERS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER 
KAUAI AND NIIHAU...WITH DEEPER LAYERED CLOUDS JUST OFFSHORE ACROSS 
THE KAUAI CHANNEL. OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVER OAHU AND ADJACENT 
WATERS...EXTENDING OFFSHORE 80 MILES TO THE NORTH AND 50 MILES TO 
THE SOUTH. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS COVER MOLOKAI. MAUI REMAINS FREE OF 
LOW CLOUDS...BUT IS COVERED BY A THIN LAYERED OF HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS 
CLOUDS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE...AND 
ARE PART OF A LARGER AREA OF LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS THAT EXTEND UP TO 80 MILES SOUTH OF MAUI 
COUNTY...AND COVER MUCH OF THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. THICKER MIDDLE 
AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS COVER COVER MUCH OF THE BIG ISLAND...EXCEPT 
FOR PORTIONS OF THE KONA SLOPES SOUTH OF KEAHOLE POINT. ADDITIONAL 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED UP TO 120 MILES SOUTHEAST AND UP TO 
200 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

FARTHER NORTHEAST AND EAST OF THE STATE...LOW CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED IN 
THE LOW-LEVEL FLOW. NORTH OF 20N...CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS AND CLOSED CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. SOUTH 
OF 20N...CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS 
ELEMENTS. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 
MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.