Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:31:42 -0600

078 
ATHW40 PHFO 220031
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED DEC 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 22 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OVER THE CENTRAL 
PACIFIC. AN EMBEDDED SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 26N166W...OR 
ABOUT 600 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. A SECOND TROUGH IS LOCATED FROM 21N152W TO 
14N160W...LOCATED JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING 
TO THE EAST AT 15 MPH. 

THE NORTHERN EDGE OF A 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
A DISSIPATING FRONT EXTENDS FROM 30N162W TO 25N154W TO 22N140W. THE 
BAND IS COMPOSED MAINLY OF OVERCAST CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
ELEMENTS...BUT WITH AREAS OF BROKEN MIDDLE AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS AS 
WELL. ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS AND CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO 
LOCATED ALONG THE WESTERN EDGE OF THIS FRONTAL BAND NORTH OF 27N. 
CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 34000 FT. THE OVERALL BAND IS NEARLY 
STATIONARY. HOWEVER INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE 
NORTHWEST AT 20 MPH WEST OF 150W...AND TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 
MPH EAST OF 150W. 

ADDITIONAL AREAS OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS ARE LOCATED SOUTH OF THE 
FRONTAL BAND...GENERALLY NORTH OF 15N BETWEEN 150W AND 157W. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THESE LAYERED 
CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 46000 FT. THE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS 
THEMSELVES ARE NEARLY STATIONARY...ALTHOUGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THE 
CONVECTION AND NEARBY CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AT 30 
MPH. 

ADDITIONAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED WITHIN 150 MILES EITHER 
SIDE OF A LINE FROM 10N180 TO 18N171W TO 19N163W. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND 
AS HIGH AS 46000 FT EAST OF 170W...AND AS HIGH AS 40000 FT WEST OF 
170W. INDIVIDUAL CONVECTIVE UPDRAFTS ARE SHORT LIVED...BUT 
ADDITIONAL CONVECTIVE CLOUDS CONTINUE TO DEVELOP THROUGH THE SAME 
AREA. THESE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN A LARGER AREA OF 
LAYERED MIDDLE AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE TWO UPPER 
TROUGHS. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
INTERIOR AND COASTAL SECTIONS OF KAUAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS COVER THE SLOPES OF THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE RANGES ON OAHU. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN HALF OF MOLOKAI... 
WITH SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS THE WESTERN HALF. 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR OF LANAI. OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. EASTERN MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND ARE 
LOCATED UNDER A GENERAL BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO LOCATED OVER THE LEEWARD 
SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE LAYERED CLOUDS EXTEND 50 MILES 
OFFSHORE TO THE WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND NEARLY 200 MILES 
OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST AND SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

FARTHER NORTHEAST AND EAST OF THE STATE...LOW CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED IN 
THE LOW-LEVEL FLOW. NORTH OF 20N...CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED OF BROKEN 
STRATOCUMULUS AND CLOSED CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. SOUTH OF 20N... 
CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.