Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 06:36:11 -0600

724 
ATHW40 PHFO 221236
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED DEC 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 22 2010

LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A STATIONARY FRONT EAST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS CONTINUES TO HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE ISLANDS 
OVERNIGHT. THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND EXTENDS ALONG A LINE FROM 24.5N 
158.4W TO 19.4N 152.3W TO 14.7N 153.4W. THIS CLOUD BAND CONTINUES TO 
IMPACT THE BIG ISLAND...PARTICULARLY THE EASTERN HALF OF THE ISLAND. 
TO THE EAST THROUGH SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...INFRARED SATELLITE 
SHOWS CLOUD TOPS REACHING NEAR 45 THOUSAND FEET. 

THE LAYERED CLOUDS MENTIONED ABOVE MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DISCERN THE 
CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE BIG ISLAND...BUT IT WOULD APPEAR THAT CLOUDS 
COVER MOST...IF NOT ALL...OF THE BIG ISLAND. HIGH CLOUDS CONTINUE TO 
PASS OVER THE REMAINING ISLANDS FROM TIME TO TIME...BUT ARE THIN 
ENOUGH TO ALLOW LOWER CLOUDS TO BE SEEN ON SATELLITE IMAGERY. 

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE SOUTHEAST BETWEEN 10 
AND 15 MPH. 

JUST A FEW LOW CLOUDS ARE NOTED MOVING OVER KAUAI AND NIIHAU AT 2 
AM. AN AREA OF HIGH CLOUDS PASSING OVER OAHU AT 2 AM COVERS MOST OF 
THE ISLAND...BUT BASED ON SATELLITE LOOPS...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE 
FOUND OVER THE ISLAND. MOLOKAI...LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE HAVE HAD MORE 
LOW CLOUDS PASSING OVERHEAD FROM TIME TO TIME...BUT JUST A FEW LOW 
CLOUDS ARE EVIDENT AT 2 AM. EASTERN MAUI HAS SCATTERED CLOUDS 
OVERHEAD...WHILE WEST MAUI HAS JUST A FEW CLOUDS OVERHEAD.

THE THUNDERSTORM AREA IN THE ITCZ AT SUNSET DISSIPATED...AND ANOTHER 
AREA HAS FORMED. THIS AREA IS NEAR 8.4N 153.W...WITH TOPS REACHING 
NEAR 40000 FEET. ANOTHER ISOLATED AREA OF THUNDERSTORMS IS NOTED 
NEAR 8.5N 168.0W WITH TOPS REACHING NEAR 42000 FEET.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.