Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:47:31 -0600

912 
ATHW40 PHFO 221847
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED DEC 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 22 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL 
PACIFIC...WITH A NUMBER OF EMBEDDED SHORTWAVE TROUGHS MOVING ACROSS 
THE REGION. ONE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 25N159W...OR 
ABOUT 200 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI. THIS SHORTWAVE IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
AT 25 MPH. A CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A DISSIPATING FRONT IS 
LOCATED NEAR THE SHORTWAVE...OR JUST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THE BAND IS UP TO 400 MILES WIDE...AND THE WESTERN EDGE 
EXTENDS FROM 30N165W TO 23N158W TO 16N151W. THE BAND IS COMPOSED 
PRIMARILY OF OVERCAST CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS ELEMENTS...BUT WITH 
AREAS OF MIXED LAYERED CLOUDS ALONG THE WESTERN EDGE. ONE AREA OF 
DEEPER CLOUDS IS LOCATED AHEAD OF THE SHORTWAVE...BEGINNING ABOUT 
100 MILES NORTHEAST OF KAUAI. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED 
CUMULONIMBUS ELEMENTS ARE LOCATED ALONG THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE 
CLOUD BAND GENERALLY BETWEEN 149W AND 159W. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 
40000 FT. 

ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 15N155W...OR ABOUT 250 
MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED EAST 
OF THIS TROUGH...AND ARE LOCATED GENERALLY FROM 14N TO 16N BETWEEN 
148W AND 151W. CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 44000 FT. THE 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 
MPH...WHILE NEARBY CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AT 40 MPH. 

A THIRD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 21N173W...OR ABOUT 600 
MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE 
EAST NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED 
EAST OF THIS TROUGH...GENERALLY FROM 19N TO 23N BETWEEN 166W AND 
173W. INDIVIDUAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS AND 
CIRROSTRATUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED THROUGH THIS AREA AS WELL. THESE 
HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AND NORTHEAST AT 30 TO 40 MPH. 

FARTHER WEST...A LARGER AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS 
LOCATED NORTH OF 14N ALONG THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE. SCATTERED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS LINE. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND 
UP TO 48000 FT. BROKEN CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS ELEMENTS EXTEND EAST 
FROM THE MAIN AREA OF LAYERED CLOUDS...GENERALLY AS FAR EAST AS 
174W. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ARE LOCATED NEAR THE EASTERN AND SOUTHERN COAST OF KAUAI...WITH 
CLEAR SKIES ACROSS THE INTERIOR OF THE ISLAND. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE SOUTH SHORE OF OAHU...AND SOUTHEAST SECTIONS OF THE ISLAND 
EAST OF PEARL HARBOR AND SOUTH OF KANEOHE BAY. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 
OFFSHORE ACROSS THE KAIWI CHANNEL...AND ALSO COVER LANAI AND WESTERN 
AND SOUTHERN SECTIONS OF MOLOKAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
COASTAL SECTIONS AND CENTRAL VALLEY ON MAUI...AND ALSO EXTEND ACROSS 
THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER NORTH AND 
SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICTS...WITH SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS 
HAMAKUA AND NORTH HILO DISTRICTS BELOW 8000 FT. BROKEN LOW AND 
MIDDLE LEVEL CLOUDS COVER SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS. SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER NORTH AND SOUTH KONA AND KAU 
DISTRICTS GENERALLY BELOW 4000 FT. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.