Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:24:48 -0600

711 
ATHW40 PHFO 230024
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU DEC 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 23 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL 
PACIFIC...WITH A NUMBER OF EMBEDDED SHORTWAVE TROUGHS MOVING ACROSS 
THE REGION. ONE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 24N158W...OR 
ABOUT 200 MILES NORTH OF OAHU. THIS SHORTWAVE IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. A CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A DISSIPATING 
FRONT IS LOCATED NEAR THE SHORTWAVE...OR JUST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE BAND IS UP TO 300 MILES WIDE...AND THE WESTERN 
EDGE EXTENDS FROM 30N163W TO 17N151W TO 17N140W. THE BAND IS 
COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF BROKEN CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS ELEMENTS... 
BUT WITH AREAS OF MIXED LAYERED CLOUDS ALONG THE WESTERN EDGE. ONE 
AREA OF DEEPER CLOUDS IS LOCATED AHEAD OF THE SHORTWAVE...BEGINNING 
ABOUT 80 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF OAHU. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITH 
EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS ELEMENTS ARE LOCATED ALONG THE WESTERN EDGE OF 
THE CLOUD BAND GENERALLY BETWEEN 147W AND 158W. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP 
TO 40000 FT. 

FARTHER UPSTREAM TO THE NORTHEAST...PATCHES OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED BEHIND THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND. THESE CLOUDS 
ARE COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS SOUTH 
OF 24N...AND MORE STABLE CLOSED CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS NORTH OF 24N. 
CLOUD MOTIONS ARE TO THE NORTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH SOUTH OF 26N... 
AND TO THE NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH NORTH OF 26N. 

ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 15N152W...OR ABOUT 400 
MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED EAST 
OF THIS TROUGH...AND ARE LOCATED GENERALLY FROM 14N TO 16N BETWEEN 
148W AND 151W. CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 44000 FT. THE 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY...ALTHOUGH NEARBY CIRRUS 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AT 35 MPH. 

A THIRD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 21N171W...OR ABOUT 650 
MILES SOUTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED EAST 
OF THIS TROUGH...GENERALLY FROM 19N TO 23N BETWEEN 163W AND 170W. 
CLOUD TOPS HAVE WARMED...AND NOW EXTEND UP TO 36000 FT. INDIVIDUAL 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY. PATCHES OF BROKEN CIRRUS 
AND CIRROSTRATUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED THROUGH THIS AREA AS WELL. THESE 
HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AT 30 MPH. 

FARTHER WEST...A LARGER AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS 
LOCATED NORTH OF 14N ALONG THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE. THE THICK 
LAYERED CLOUDS EXTEND AS FAR EAST AT 176W. SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS LINE. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 48000 
FT. BROKEN CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS ELEMENTS EXTEND FARTHER EAST FROM 
THE MAIN AREA OF LAYERED CLOUDS...GENERALLY AS FAR EAST AS 173W. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
INTERIOR OF KAUAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE INTERIOR OF 
NIIHAU...AND EXTEND 20 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE WEST NORTHWEST. BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SLOPES OF THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE RANGES ON 
OAHU...AS WELL AS PORTIONS OF THE INTERIOR OF THE ISLAND. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF MAUI COUNTY AND THE ADJACENT 
COASTAL WATERS...WITH ONLY A FEW CLEAR SECTIONS ACROSS SOUTHERN 
MOLOKAI WEST OF KAUNAKAKAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER 
MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND...INCLUDING THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA LOA AND 
MAUNA KEA. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.