Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:34:44 -0600

951 
ATHW40 PHFO 230534
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU DEC 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 23 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW ABOUT 1800 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI THIS EVENING NEAR 34.9N 174.0E. THE LAYERED 
CLOUD BAND...ROUGHLY 585 MILES WIDE...ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM 
SURFACE FRONT HAVE THUNDERSTORMS EMBEDDED WITHIN THE BAND. THE 
LEADING EDGE OF THIS BAND IS ABOUT 850 MILES WEST OF KAUAI THIS 
EVENING. ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL LOW IS NOTED ON WATER VAPOR NEARLY 2375 
MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF KAUAI...NEAR 52.8N 159.7W. CLOUDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEMS SURFACE FRONT ARE ABOUT 775 MILES NORTH 
OF KAUAI.

THE REMAINS OF A FRONT REMAIN ANCHORED TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING. LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS 
OLD FRONT LIE ALONG A LINE FROM 23.6N 155.1W TO 19.3N 153.1W...WITH 
LOWER CLOUDS FOUND TO THE SOUTH. 

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE SOUTHEAST AROUND 10 
MPH. 

CLOUDS CONTINUE TO COVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND WITH ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS. FEWER CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE REMAINING MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AT 7 PM. JUST A FEW CLOUDS ARE FOUND PASSING OVER 
KAUAI AND NIIHAU. ON OAHU...TOWERING CUMULUS ARE FOUND OVER BOTH THE 
KOOLAU AND WAIANAE RANGES. SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE 
ISLANDS OF MOLOKAI...LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE. CLOUDS ARE MORE 
CONCENTRATED OVER MAUI...WITH CLOUDS COVERING MOST OF THE ISLAND AT 
7 PM.

TWO AREAS OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE NOTED IN THE ITCZ FAR SOUTH OF THE 
ISLANDS. THE FIRST AREA IS CENTERED ON A LINE FROM 9.5N 150.9W TO 
7.4N 156.7W WITH TOPS REACHING NEAR 51 THOUSAND FEET. THE OTHER AREA 
IS CENTERED NEAR 7.9N 163.9W WITH TOPS NEAR 43 THOUSAND FEET. 

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.