Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 06:34:47 -0600

178 
ATHW40 PHFO 231234
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU DEC 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 23 2010

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS NOTED ON WATER VAPOR IMAGERY NEAR 43.1N 
145.3W...ABOUT 1675 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF KAUAI AT 2 AM. THE 
LEADING EDGE OF LOW CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SURFACE FRONT OF THIS 
SYSTEM ARE ABOUT 700 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI OVERNIGHT. 

INSTABILITY NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS CONTINUES TO SPARK SOME 
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AREA. MOST OF THE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS PART 
OF AN AREA OF CLOUDS EAST OF THE ISLANDS...ALONG A LINE FROM 23.7N 
154.2W TO 15.9N 150.5W...WITH THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY MOSTLY FOUND 
NORTH OF 20N...WITH CLOUD TOPS NEAR 40000 FEET. ADDITIONAL CLOUDS 
ARE FOUND OVER THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL AND THE BIG ISLAND...WITH THE 
CLOUDS OVER THE CHANNEL INCLUDING A THUNDERSTORM AT 2 AM WITH TOPS 
ALSO NEAR 40000 FEET. 

THE CLOUDS OVER THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL SPREAD OVER KAHOOLAWE AT 2 
AM...AND ARE SPREADING TO THE NORTH AND EAST OVER THE SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA...AND TOWARDS LANAI. ELSEWHERE IN MAUI COUNTY...JUST A FEW 
CLOUDS ARE FOUND. ON OAHU...SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE PASSING OVERHEAD... 
WHILE A FEW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER KAUAI AND NIIHAU. LOW CLOUDS NEAR 
THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL LOW MORE THAN 1800 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI OVERNIGHT. A SURFACE FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH 
THIS UPPER LOW HAS LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS. 
THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE REACHING NEAR 46000 FEET. THE LEADING EDGE OF 
THE LAYERED CLOUDS IS ABOUT 700 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AT 2 AM.

ADDITIONAL ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE FORMED IN THE ITCZ SOUTH OF 
THE ISLANDS. THESE THUNDERSTORMS ARE CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 8.8N 
144.1W TO 7.9N 166.7W...AND HAVE TOPS REACHING NEAR 47000 FEET.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.