Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:40:27 -0600

508 
ATHW40 PHFO 231840
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC THU DEC 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 23 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE AXIS WEST OF THE 
STATE...CENTERED NEAR 170W. A SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED ON THE 
EASTERN SIDE OF THE RIDGE...EXTENDING FROM 25N150W TO 21N163W...OR 
PASSING NEAR KAUAI. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 30 
MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS LOCATED TO THE 
SOUTHEAST OF THE TROUGH...COVERING A PORTION OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE LOCATED GENERALLY FROM 15N TO 23N BETWEEN 
148W AND 158W. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE 
LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH CLOUD TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 42000 FT. THE 
INDIVIDUAL CUMULONIMBUS CELLS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY. HOWEVER CIRRUS 
DEBRIS FROM THE CONVECTION IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 30 MPH. 

A SECOND SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED FARTHER NORTH NEAR 30N159W. 
THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. ISOLATED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED AHEAD OF THE TROUGH...GENERALLY 
BETWEEN 156W AND 159W NORTH OF 28N. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 45000 
FT. BROKEN MIDDLE AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ARE LOCATED THROUGH THE SAME 
AREA...GENERALLY BETWEEN 154W AND 160W NORTH OF 27N. THESE LAYERED 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 40 TO 50 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...NIIHAU...KAUAI...AND OAHU ARE 
MOSTLY CLEAR. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE WESTERN COAST OF 
MOLOKAI...WITH JUST SCATTERED CLOUDS ACROSS THE INTERIOR. BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS COVER SOUTHERN SECTIONS OF LANAI...AND THE SOUTH COAST OF 
WEST MAUI SOUTHEAST FROM LAHAINA. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER A 
PORTION OF THE CENTRAL VALLEY AND THE LEEWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA 
FROM PAIA TO ULUPALAKUA TO KIPAHULU. THESE LOW CLOUDS ALSO EXTEND 
OFFSHORE ACROSS THE LEEWARD COASTAL WATERS OF MAUI COUNTY AND ACROSS 
THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. BROKEN LOW AND MIDDLE LEVEL CLOUDS COVER 
MUCH OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE CLOUDS ARE THICKEST FROM NORTH KOHALA TO 
NORTHERN SECTIONS OF SOUTH KONA DISTRICT...AND ACROSS PUNA AND KAU 
DISTRICTS. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND WELL OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTH AND EAST 
OF THE BIG ISLAND...AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. 

FARTHER WEST OF THE AREA...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A DEEP UPPER 
LEVEL LONGWAVE TROUGH LOCATED NEAR 30N175E. A COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED 
WITH THIS TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE...AND A 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST AREA OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS IS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE COLD FRONT. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS FRONTAL BAND EXTENDS FROM 
30N170W TO 20N175W TO 16N180...OR FROM 450 MILES NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY 
ATOLL TO 600 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF MIDWAY TO 900 MILES SOUTH 
SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY. THE BAND IS OVER 500 MILES WIDE NEAR 
30N...TAPERING DOWN TO 300 MILES WIDE NEAR 16N. WHILE THE OVERALL 
BAND IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH...INDIVIDUAL CLOUD 
ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT UP TO 50 MPH. 

SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS. CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 48000 FT. THE 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE ORGANIZED INTO TWO DISTINCT BANDS. THE 
LEADING BAND EXTENDS FROM 30N171W TO 20N176W...AND A SECOND BAND 
EXTENDS FROM 30N175W TO 19N180. AN ADDITIONAL AREA OF CIRRUS AND 
CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS EXTENDS EAST FROM THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND...AND IS 
LOCATED GENERALLY NORTH OF 20N WEST OF 166W. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING TO THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST AT 50 MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.