Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:39:41 -0600

575 
ATHW40 PHFO 240039
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI DEC 24 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 24 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE AXIS WEST OF THE 
STATE...CENTERED NEAR 170W. A SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED ON THE 
EASTERN SIDE OF THE RIDGE...EXTENDING FROM 25N154W TO 20N161W...OR 
PASSING OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS 
TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN 
LAYERED CLOUDS IS LOCATED TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE TROUGH...COVERING 
A PORTION OF THE STATE. THESE CLOUDS ARE LOCATED GENERALLY FROM 16N 
TO 24N BETWEEN 149W AND 157W. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH CLOUD TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 
44000 FT. THE INDIVIDUAL CUMULONIMBUS CELLS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY. 
HOWEVER CIRRUS DEBRIS FROM THE CONVECTION IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 
30 MPH. 

A SECOND SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED FARTHER NORTH NEAR 29N157W. 
THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH. BROKEN MIDDLE AND 
HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ARE LOCATED AHEAD OF THE TROUGH...GENERALLY 
BETWEEN 150W AND 159W NORTH OF 26N. WEAKENING CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS 
ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE WESTERN EDGE OF THESE LAYERED CLOUDS. CLOUD 
TOPS EXTEND UP TO 40000 FT. DISTINCT TRANSVERSE BANDS ARE VISIBLE 
EXTENDING DOWNSTREAM FROM THIS CONVECTION...A SIGN OF POTENTIAL HIGH 
LEVEL TURBULENCE. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
INTERIOR AND SOUTHERN SECTIONS OF KAUAI AND NIIHAU. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR AND 
SOUTHEAST SECTIONS OF OAHU....AS WELL AS WESTERN SECTIONS OF MOLOKAI 
AND INTERIOR SECTIONS OF LANAI. THESE CLOUDS ALSO EXTEND OFFSHORE 15 
MILES TO THE NORTH OF MOLOKAI AND LANAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS 
COVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS AND SLOPES OF HALEAKALA UP TO SUMMIT 
LEVEL...WITH SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS ACROSS THE CENTRAL VALLEY. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER THE BIG 
ISLAND AS WELL...EXTENDING ACROSS THE SADDLE AND TO THE SUMMITS OF 
MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. 

FARTHER WEST OF THE AREA...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A DEEP UPPER 
LEVEL LONGWAVE TROUGH LOCATED NEAR 30N177E. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO 
THE NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. A COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TROUGH IS 
LOCATED NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE...AND A BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
AREA OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE COLD FRONT. THE 
LEADING EDGE OF THIS FRONTAL BAND EXTENDS FROM 30N168W TO 21N173W TO 
16N180...OR FROM 600 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL TO 500 
MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF MIDWAY TO 900 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF 
MIDWAY. THE BAND IS CLOSE TO 600 MILES WIDE NEAR 30N...AND TAPERS 
DOWN TO 300 MILES WIDE NEAR 16N. WHILE THE OVERALL BAND IS MOVING TO 
THE EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH...INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO 
THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT UP TO 50 MPH. 

SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS. CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 48000 FT. THE 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE GREATEST IN COVERAGE ALONG A LINE THAT 
EXTENDS ROUGHLY FROM 30N174W TO 21N178W. AN ADDITIONAL AREA OF 
CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS EXTENDS EAST FROM THE MAIN FRONTAL 
BAND...AND IS LOCATED GENERALLY NORTH OF 20N WEST OF 164W. THESE 
HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTH SOUTHEAST AT 40 TO 50 MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.