Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 05:58:22 -0600

910 
ATHW40 PHFO 241158
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI DEC 24 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 24 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE PASSING JUST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

A BAND OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI 
AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 
200 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 17N 180 TO 27N 172W TO 30N 171W AND 
FURTHER SOUTHWEST AND NORTHWEST. LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUDS OF 
VARYING THICKNESS ALSO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES SOUTHEAST UP 
TO ABOUT 325 MILES FROM THE LEADING EDGE OF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND. 
THIS FEATURE AS A WHOLE MOVED EAST SLOWLY.

ANOTHER BAND OF LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH A SECOND 
FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 140 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 30N 166W TO 27N 151W TO 30N 140W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. DENSELY 
PACKED COLD-AIR CUMULI PREVAILED BETWEEN THIS BAND AND 30N. THIS 
FEATURE MOVED SOUTH AT 10 TO 15 MILES AN HOUR.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 14N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES FROM 
14N TO 02N.

ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPED WITHIN 
150 MILES OF THE POINT 19N 154W. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED 
LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 250 MILES OF THE POINT 19N 151W.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
UNORGANIZED CLUMPS OF MARINE CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS. THESE CLUMPS 
VARIED IN SIZE FROM INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI TO COLLECTIONS ABOUT 
400 MILES ACROSS. THEY OCCURRED THROUGHOUT THE AREA...BUT WERE MOST 
COMMON AND LARGEST BETWEEN 140W AND 150W. THESE CLOUDS FORMED AND 
DISSIPATED PERIODICALLY...BUT REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MARINE STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SOUTHEAST SLOPES OF KAUAI... 
AND ALONG PARTS OF MAUI COUNTY BORDERING THE PAILOLO CHANNEL. THIN 
HIGH CLOUD LAYERS ALSO STILL OBSCURED THE VICINITY OF CAPE KUMUKAHI 
ON THE BIG ISLAND. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED 
SHOWERS OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTHWEST OF MAUI COUNTY AND TO THE 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST 
ELSEWHERE. THE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 
7000 FEET.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.