Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:14:14 -0600

952 
ATHW40 PHFO 250513
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT DEC 25 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 25 2010

A BAND OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI 
EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 169W TO 
21N 174W TO 18N 180 TO 17N 176W TO 21N 169W TO 30N 162W. THIN 
LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS ALSO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES UP TO ABOUT 
320 MILES SOUTHEAST FROM THE LEADING EDGE OF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND. 
THIS FEATURE AS A WHOLE MOVED EAST SLOWLY.

A STATIONARY AREA OF DENSE LAYERED CLOUDS POSSIBLY ASSOCIATED WITH 
THIS FRONT OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 180 MILES OF THE POINT 13N 
180.

ANOTHER BAND OF LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH A SECOND 
FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 30N 163W TO 25N 153W TO 25N 144W TO 26N 140W AND FURTHER 
NORTHEAST. DENSELY PACKED COLD-AIR CUMULI PREVAILED BETWEEN THIS 
BAND AND 30N. THIS FEATURE MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 5 TO 10 MILES AN HOUR.

TO THE SOUTH...VERY LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE 
ITCZ BETWEEN 12N AND 05N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES 
BETWEEN 03N AND THE CURVE FROM 09N 180 TO 11N 158W TO 19N 152W TO 
19N 140W.

ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPED WITHIN 
36 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 17N 157W TO 18N 155W. LAYERED MIDDLE TO 
HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY OBSCURED 
LOWER FEATURES WITHIN ABOUT THE SAME AREA.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
SMALL UNORGANIZED CLUMPS OF MARINE CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS. THESE 
CLOUDS GENERALLY DRIFTED WEST SLOWLY. THEY ROSE MOSTLY TO HEIGHTS OF 
5000 TO 7000 FEET...THOUGH TALLER CUMULI APPROACHED 15000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
AFTERNOON CUMULUS...TOWERING CUMULUS...AND THUNDERSTORM BUILDUPS 
WITH THEIR LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. THE MOST 
ACTIVE CONVECTION OCCURRED OVER NORTH KAUAI AND NORTH CLOCKWISE 
THROUGH NORTHEAST OAHU. AREAS WITH THE LEAST CLOUD COVER WERE 
LIMITED MAINLY TO NORTHEAST NIIHAU...SOUTHWEST COASTAL KAUAI...SOUTH 
OAHU...EAST MOLOKAI...SOUTHEAST LANAI...THE CENTRAL ISTHMUS ON 
MAUI...THE WEST COAST OF NORTH AND SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICTS ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...THE VICINITY OF CAPE KUMUKAHI ON THE BIG ISLAND...AND THE 
VICINITY OF KAUNA POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND.

RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED HEAVY SHOWERS ALONG THE 
NORTHEAST COAST OF OAHU AND OFFSHORE JUST TO THE WEST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...SCATTERED SHOWERS ALONG THE NORTH COAST OF KAUAI AND ALONG 
THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST 
ELSEWHERE. THE LOWER CLOUDS VARIED CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 5000 
TO 15000 FEET...WHILE THE TOWERING CUMULI EXCEEDED 20000 FEET...AND 
THE THUNDERSTORMS APPROACHED 32000 FEET.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.