Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:24:05 -0600

377 
ATHW40 PHFO 251823
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT DEC 25 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 25 2010

CLOUDS WERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN OVER THE KAUAI MOUNTAINS...THE EAST 
END OF MOLOKAI AND MOST OF LANAI. BROKEN CLOUDS WERE ALSO NOTICED 
OVER THE SOUTH-FACING SLOPES OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS AND MOUNT 
HALEAKALA...AND THE SOUTH COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. OTHERWISE...SKIES 
WERE MOSTLY CLEAR.

CLOUDS WERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN OVER WATER WITHIN 100 MILES OF THE 
ISLANDS. CLOUD TOPS RANGED FROM 6 TO 11 THOUSAND FEET. THE CLOUDS 
WERE MOVING TO THE NORTH-NORTHWEST AT 10 MPH.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH DISPLAYS MOISTURE ABOVE 24 THOUSAND 
FEET...PINPOINTED AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED ABOUT 375 MILES SOUTH 
OF THE BIG ISLAND/S SOUTH POINT. BETWEEN THE CENTER OF THE LOW AND 
THE BIG ISLAND WAS AN AREA OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS AND TOWERING 
CUMULI. MOST OF THE CLOUDS WERE FROM 16N TO 18N BETWEEN 154W AND 
158W. THE CLOUDS WERE MOVING COUNTERCLOCKWISE AT 10 MPH AROUND THE 
LOW. THUNDERSTORM TOPS WERE NEAR 34 THOUSAND FEET.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WITH SCATTERED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WERE 
ALSO DETECTED EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE UPPER LOW IN AN AREA FROM 07N TO 
13N BETWEEN 140W AND 155W. HIGH CLOUDS SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
WERE WITHIN 250 MILES SOUTH OF A JETSTREAM RUNNING FROM 14N155W TO 
19N152W TO 17N140W AND BEYOND,

BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WERE 
LOCATED NORTH AND WEST OF THE ISLANDS. MOST OF THE CLOUDS WERE IN AN 
AREA FROM 30N150W TO 24N160W TO 17N170W TO 25N170W TO 30N164W. THE 
CLOUDS...WHICH WERE ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT...EXTENDED FAR 
NORTH OF 30N BETWEEN 150W AND 165W. THE CLOUDS WERE MOVING TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT ABOUT 20 MPH WHILE THE AREA WAS TRANSLATING SLOWLY TO 
THE SOUTHEAST TOWARD THE ISLANDS. MAXIMUM THUNDERSTORM TOPS WERE 
ESTIMATED TO BE NEAR 45 THOUSAND FEET.

A SECOND WEAKER COLD FRONT WAS LOCATED FAR TO THE NORTHWEST ALONG A 
LINE THROUGH 30N175W TO 27N180W AND OFF TO THE SOUTHWEST. ISOLATED 
SMALL THUNDERSTORMS LOCATED WITHIN 120 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE FRONT 
HAD TOPS NEAR 28 THOUSAND FEET. THE COLD FRONT WAS MOVING TO THE 
SOUTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.