Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 18:30:35 -0600

875 
ATHW40 PHFO 260030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN DEC 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 26 2010

THE ISLANDS THAT SAT UNDER MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES EARLY THIS MORNING ARE 
NOW COVERED WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. THE ONLY EXCEPTIONS 
WHERE SKIES ARE STILL MOSTLY CLEAR ARE THE CENTRAL VALLEY OF MAUI... 
OVER AND UPSLOPE OF HILO...AND THE SOUTHERN TIP OF THE BIG ISLAND.

ADDITIONAL CLOUDS WITH BROKEN COVERAGE AND ISOLATED SHOWERS ARE 
SOUTH OF KAUAI OAHU AND MOLOKAI AND ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH AT 15 TO 
20 MPH. MAUI AND LANAI HAVE FEWER CLOUDS MOVING UP FROM THE SOUTH 
BECAUSE THEY ARE LOCATED DOWNWIND OF THE CLOUD-BLOCKING BIG ISLAND.

SKIES NORTH OF KAUAI OAHU AND MOLOKAI ARE CLEAR OR HAVE ISOLATED 
CLOUDS. SKIES NORTH OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND...ON THE OTHER 
HAND... HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS. LOW CLOUD TOPS OVER AND NEAR 
THE ISLANDS RANGE FROM 6 TO 10 THOUSAND FEET.

SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING OVER KAUAI FROM THE 
NORTHWEST. SCATTERED HIGH CLOUDS ARE ALSO MOVING TO THE NORTH OVER 
THE BIG ISLAND. THE HIGH CLOUDS OVER AND SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
ARE SOUTH OF A JETSTREAM RUNNING FROM 14N155W TO 19N156W ACROSS THE 
BIG ISLAND TO 21N150W THEN OFF TO THE EAST-SOUTHEAST. MOST OF THE 
CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE THIN RATHER THAN OPAQUE.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH DISPLAYS MOISTURE ABOVE 24 THOUSAND 
FEET...CONTINUES TO TRACK AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED ABOUT 175 
MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND/S SOUTH POINT. THE LOW IS MOVING TO 
THE NORTH-NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH OVER THE LAST 6 HOURS. SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED EAST AND SOUTHEAST OF THE LOW CENTER IN 
AN AREA FROM 08N TO 16N BETWEEN 140W AND 155W.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE
LOCATED NORTH AND WEST OF THE ISLANDS. MOST OF THE CLOUDS ARE 
WITHIN 120 MILES OF A COLD FRONT FROM 30N160W TO 22N170W AND 
20N180W. THE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT ABOUT 20 MPH 
WHILE THE AREA IS TRANSLATING SLOWLY TO THE SOUTHEAST TOWARD THE 
ISLANDS. MAXIMUM THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE ESTIMATED TO BE NEAR 45 
THOUSAND FEET.

A SECOND COLD FRONT IS LOCATED FAR TO THE NORTHWEST ALONG A LINE 
THROUGH 30N174W TO 26N180W THEN OFF TO THE SOUTHWEST. THUNDERSTORMS 
WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE FRONT HAVE INCREASED IN NUMBER AND INTENSITY 
OVER THE LAST 6 HOURS. THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE NEAR 30 THOUSAND FEET. 
THE COLD FRONT IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.