Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:47:20 -0600

313 
ATHW40 PHFO 260546
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN DEC 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 26 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WEST OF THE 
STATE. A COMPACT UPPER LOW IS LOCATED NORTH OF THE AREA NEAR 
37N172W. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 15 MPH. A DIGGING 
SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED WEST OF THE AREA NEAR 29N176E. THIS 
TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 25 TO 30 MPH. A SURFACE COLD 
FRONT IS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS UPPER LEVEL TROUGH...AND A BAND OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FRONT. THE 
FRONTAL BAND IS UP TO 200 MILES WIDE...AND THE WESTERN EDGE EXTENDS 
FROM 30N173W TO 27N180...OR FROM 300 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY 
ATOLL TO 200 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY. THE BAND IS MOVING TO THE 
EAST AT 20 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN 
THE LAYERED CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 38000 FT. 

ANOTHER SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 23N172W...OR ABOUT 500 
MILES SOUTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS IS LOCATED GENERALLY NORTH OF 22N BETWEEN 160W AND 166W. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THESE LAYERED 
CLOUDS...WITH TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 40000 FT. BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS CLOUDS EXTEND FARTHER SOUTH AND WEST...SOUTH 
TO 20N AND WEST TO 170W. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT 40 TO 50 MPH. 

A BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS EXTENDS FARTHER 
TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST...AND IS ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAKENING 
STATIONARY FRONT. THIS BAND IS BETWEEN 100 TO 200 MILES WIDE...AND 
IS LOCATED SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 24N166W TO 21N180. ISOLATED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS FRONTAL BAND AS WELL. 
CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 40000 FT. ADDITIONAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED FARTHER TO THE EAST AS WELL...GENERALLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM 
22N160W TO 27N154W. CLOUD TOPS WITH THESE CONVECTIVE CELLS EXTEND UP 
TO 45000 FT. 

TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE...AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 18N155W...OR 
ABOUT 100 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF SOUTH POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND. 
THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. AN AREA OF 
BROKEN MIDDLE AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ARE LOCATED TO THE EAST OF THIS 
LOW...GENERALLY BETWEEN 145W AND 154W SOUTH OF 19N. THESE THICKER 
LAYERED CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 30 MPH. 
ADDITIONAL CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED FARTHER NORTH...EXTENDING UP TO 
22N. THESE THINNER HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AND EAST 
AT 40 TO 50 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AN AREA OF SHOWERY CUMULUS AND 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS IS LOCATED ACROSS KAUAI AND OAHU AND 
SURROUNDING COASTAL WATERS. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED 
NEAR AND TO THE WEST OF KAUAI. THESE CONVECTIVE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO 
THE NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH. CUMULONIMBUS CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 40000 
FT. OTHERWISE...TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUD TOPS GENERALLY EXTEND UP TO 
25000 FT. ACROSS MAUI COUNTY...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR 
AND NORTHERN COASTAL SECTIONS OF MOLOKAI...AND THE INTERIOR OF 
LANAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE INTERIOR OF THE WEST MAUI 
MOUNTAINS...AND LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. THESE CLOUDS ALSO EXTEND 
OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH OF EAST MAUI. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE LOWER SLOPES AND 
COASTAL SECTIONS OF NORTH AND SOUTH KONA DISTRICTS...AS WELL AS 
WINDWARD SECTIONS FROM NORTH KOHALA TO HAMAKUA DISTRICTS. THESE 
CLOUDS EXTEND OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH AND NORTHWEST. AN AREA OF CIRRUS 
AND CIRROSTRATUS CLOUDS IS LOCATED JUST OFFSHORE OF KAU AND PUNA 
DISTRICTS. THIS AREA OF HIGH CLOUDS IS MOVING TO THE NORTHWEST AT 10 
MPH...AND IS BEGINNING TO COVER EASTERN SECTIONS OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.