Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 06:41:43 -0600

329 
ATHW40 PHFO 261241
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN DEC 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 26 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WEST OF THE 
STATE. A COMPACT UPPER LOW IS LOCATED NORTH OF THE AREA NEAR 
36N170W. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH. A 
DIGGING SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED WEST OF THE AREA NEAR 27N178E. 
THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH. A SURFACE COLD 
FRONT IS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS UPPER LEVEL TROUGH...AND A BAND OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FRONT. THE 
FRONTAL BAND IS UP TO 200 MILES WIDE...AND THE WESTERN EDGE EXTENDS 
FROM 30N172W TO 26N180...OR FROM 350 MILES NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL 
TO 200 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY. THE BAND IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 
15 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 35000 FT. 

ANOTHER SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 21N176W...OR ABOUT 500 
MILES SOUTH OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS 
LOCATED GENERALLY BETWEEN 17N AND A LINE EXTENDING FROM 20N180 TO 
24N175W TO 27N165W. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 30 
TO 50 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THESE 
LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 40000 FT. 

CLOSER TO THE STATE...ANOTHER SHORTWAVE TROUGH IS LOCATED NEAR 
21N164W...OR ABOUT 300 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. THIS TROUGH IS 
MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS LOCATED GENERALLY NORTH OF 20N BETWEEN 
155W AND 163W...COVERING A PORTION OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS...AND ARE GREATEST IN COVERAGE ALONG A LINE FROM 22N160W TO 
30N152W. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 44000 FT. 

GOING FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS... 
WITH EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...COVER KAUAI AND OAHU AND 
ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOLOKAI AND 
LANAI...AND SOUTHERN SECTIONS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY ACROSS THE LEEWARD SLOPES 
OF HALEAKALA...AND ALSO ACROSS WINDWARD COASTAL SECTIONS. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE PART OF A LARGER PLUME CLOUD THAT EXTENDS SOUTHEASTWARD 
ACROSS THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL...ORIGINATING NEAR THE BIG ISLAND. 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER NORTHWEST SECTIONS OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
GENERALLY FROM NORTH KOHALA DISTRICT TO NORTH KONA DISTRICT NORTH OF 
KEAHOLE POINT. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED COVER 
SOUTHEAST SECTIONS. 

TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE...AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS LOCATED NEAR 
18N153W...OR ABOUT 200 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS LOW 
IS MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN MIDDLE AND 
HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS ARE LOCATED TO THE EAST OF THIS LOW...GENERALLY 
BETWEEN 140W AND 151W SOUTH OF 19N. THESE THICKER LAYERED CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 30 MPH. ADDITIONAL CIRRUS CLOUDS 
ARE LOCATED FARTHER NORTH...EXTENDING UP TO 22N. THESE THINNER HIGH 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AND NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.